Monday, March 14, 2011

3-14-2011 Meatloaf night and kale is awesome!

Everyone has a go-to dinner they like to prepare. Mine is meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and steamed brocolli. Tonight, I made my usual meatloaf dinner plus I tried cooking kale for the first time.  The kale was a huge hit. Both of my boys ate an abundant amount, I was shocked. What suprised me even more was when some fell on the floor, my dog ate it. My dog is the pickiest dog ever, there are very few foods he eats. The kids were having a blast feeding it to him, I actually had to stop them because I was worried he would eat too much and get sick. The kale was very easy to prepare, definitely give it a try if you never have, you will love it. Look below for the recipe.
Meatloaf and mashed potatoes are a match made in Heaven. I really think I couldn't eat meatloaf without mashed potatoes. My love for mashed potatoes dates back to my elementary school days. I remember excitedly standing in the cafeteria line for the best mashed potatoes.  When I think about them now, I am pretty sure they were just instant mashed potatoes, yuck!
I have a few different meatloaf recipes I make. Tonight, I made one that has a similar flavor to sloppy joes. My kids really like this particular recipe. As for the mashed potatoes, I wish I could give you the recipe, but it is one of those that I throw together without measurements. The recipe has potatoes boiled until soft, then I whip them with a hand mixer, with a little of the water they were cooked in, margarine, salt, and pepper.

Lee Hock's Meatloaf

meatloaf:
1 pound lean ground beef 90/10
1/2 c. finely chopped onion
1/2 c. fienly chopped red bell pepper, can use orange or yellow
1/4 c. bread crumbs
1/4 c. oats
1 egg
1/2 (6oz.) can tomato paste
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper

glaze:
1/3 c. ketchup
1 T. dijon mustard
2 T. dark brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix together all of the meatloaf ingredients in a large bowl, and place in a sprayed loaf pan.
Mix together glaze ingredients in small bowl. Pour over the top of the meatloaf.
Bake for 1 hour, until the sides of the meatloaf are pulling away from the pan.

Baked Kale

1 bunch kale, washed and dried
olive oil
seasoned salt (I used morton's seasoned salt)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Tear kale leaves away the center stem, discarding the stems.  Place on a baking sheet covered with foil or parchment. Drizzle with olive oil, about 1-2 Tablespoons. Sprinkle with seasoned salt. Bake for 15 minutes, until edges are crispy. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment