Wednesday, March 2, 2011

3-2-2011 Grocery Store, Kosher Bimbo, and Quiche Recipe, Dinner Update

Going to the grocery store is my drug of choice. For me, wandering aimlessly around any grocery store is pure bliss. My mom hates going to the grocery store with me because she says I take way too long, I just can't help myself. I get lost looking at each and every item, it gives me great satisfaction.

Today I got the highest of highs, which rarely happens. I was walking through the kosher meat department and I notice a stand of Bimbo breads, I'm thinking what is this stand of non kosher bread doing in the middle of the kosher section?! All of the sudden I notice a sign saying, "Bimbo bread is now Kosher pareve!" I felt like screaming and jumping up and down with joy, it was hard to contain myself. Before you start thinking I am absolutely bonkers, let me explain. I grew up in a non kosher home eating and loving Mrs. Baird's white bread. Never have I been able to find any kosher bread that is even close to Mrs. Baird's bread. So, today when I stumbled onto the newly kosher Bimbo bread I was ecstatic. I felt like buying all three varieties, white, wheat, and honey wheat. I had to remind myself there will be plenty of time to try all 3, and so today I went with a loaf of whole wheat. Also, after doing a little bit of investigating I learned that Bimbo owns Mrs. Bairds, they should be very similar. I will let you know how it is.
Here is a pic of the display:
Yup! Look at the top left hand corner, see the hechsher!

I got an email from Dahlia today with the recipe for the mini quiches she made last friday. I suggest making these cute quiches for breakfast or brunch. I think the kids will love these tasty bites. You could also make it a larger quiche and slice it, you would need to increase the baking time.


Mini Quiche
3/4 C. crushed saltine crackers, can use unsalted if you prefer less salty
4 Tbsp. butter or margarine, melted
non stick cooking spray, (I prefer the crisco brand in a silver can with blue nozzle)
1 C. chopped green onions
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
2 eggs
1 C. milk
1 C. grated cheese, your choice, she used a mix of Cheddar and Mozzarella
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Preheat oven to 300 F.
Spray a mini muffin pan with cooking spray.
Combine crushed crackers and butter in a medium bowl.
Divide evenly among mini muffin cups.
In a medium saute pan, melt 2 T. margarine and then saute the green onion for 10 minutes over medium heat.
Cool, and divide evenly into each muffin cup ontop of the cracker crumbs
Beat eggs in medium bowl, add milk, cheese, salt, and pepper.
Pour by spoonfuls on top of onions in muffin tin about 3/4 full. Do not fill to top because it would run over.
Bake 15-20 minutes until set, watch carefully so they don't overbake. Serve immeadiately, or
Store in refrigerator or freezer and warm in oven just before serving.

Voila!

8:00 P.M.: Recipes from tonight are posted 3-1-2011

We just finished our awesome dinner. Hubby was relishing every bite, he was pleased to say the least. The golden beet salad was wonderful. I will definitely be making this recipe over and over again. It always feels good to eat healthy food that tastes great. Supposedly beets help ward off cancer, and are packed with many other nutrients.

The coconut tilapia stuck to the pan a little bit, next time I will be sure to use more non stick spray. The marriage between the coconut tilapia and pineapple chutney was a match made in heaven.
When the chutney was finished cooking I decided to use my immersion blender to make it smoother and less chunky. I added this to the recipe in the 3-1-2011 post.

Finally, the rice was rice. There is not much to be said for perfectly cooked plain brown rice, except that it went nicely with this dinner. I find when I make foods that are packed with huge flavors, a plain rice complements it really well, it is almost as if it cleans the palate in between tasty bites.

Have a good night! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment