Thursday, March 24, 2011

3-24-2011 An Early Taste of Summer

My parents heated their pool today, and the whole family swam and ate dinner together. We had a blast, there is nothing better than quality family time.  My mom made a scrumptious dinner which unintentionally on her part had a Summery vibe. She made barbeque baked chicken, corn casserole, and baked beans. My sister made her famous caesar salad. The origin of this caesar salad recipe is a bone of contention for the two of us. We both lay claim to orginally creating it. I know I keep saying it, but one of these days I will nail the recipe down for you.
The barbeque baked chicken is the easiest chicken recipe ever! All you do is take chicken on the bone, pour barbeque sauce over it, and bake it uncovered at 350 degrees for 1-1.5 hours, until meat thermometer reads 170 degrees, and/or it is no longer pink in the center.
My mom got the baked beans from a can, Bush's makes vegetarian parve beans I am a fan of.
The corn casserole is an old recipe of my grandmother's from Tyler, Texas. Both of my parents were born and raised there. Yes there is actually Jewish people that live in the small town of Tyler. My grandmother got the recipe from a caterer she frequently used, named Ruby. Look below for the picture and recipe.
Finally, for dessert, I brought a strawberry cake with strawberry frosting I made from scratch. I bought 2 packages of strawberries on sale at Sprout's yesterday. I wanted to use some of the strawberries, and I tried a new recipe.  My entire family loves strawberry cake, who doesn't? The results were good, but not spectacular.  In all honesty, the Duncan Hine's parve strawberry cake mix is my favorite.
Here is a picture of the cake, it may make your mouth water:

Ruby's Corn Casserole

scaled to feed 4 people

1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 can cream style corn
1 1/2 teaspoons flour
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 stick margarine, melted
1 egg, beaten
salt and pepper to taste
grated cheddar, optional for a dairy meal

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all of the above ingredients together, and sprinkle top with cheese if making it dairy. Spray a 9 inch square baking dish with non stick spray, and pour corn mixture in. Bake for 1 hour, until set.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check back tomorrow, I'll post the details of my shabbat cooking. I am going to go get some rest now, I have a big day of cooking ahead of me tomorrow. Have a good night! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment