Sunday, March 27, 2011

3-27-2011 Brunch with Friends

Our long time friends Lauren and Seth invited us over for brunch this morning. I asked if there was anything I could bring and they replied no. Well, there was no way I was going to show up there empty handed.
I looked around my kitchen for something to concoct, and I noticed 2 black bananas calling out to me. Bingo! I decided to whip up some banana bread.
I knew King Hock would love it, he always reminisces about how it was his Poppy's favorite food.
The recipe I used is my great aunt Freddye's from San Antonio. She is notorious for her banana bread. It's a wonder that I actually have this closely guarded recipe, see below. I must admit I tweaked it a tiny bit.


Aunt Freddye's Banana Bread
This recipe makes 1 loaf, but if you want 2 loaves, you can double it. Aunt Freddye is also known to make it in a tube cake pan, and then put frosting on it, what a treat! P.S. your house will smell fabulous during and after baking.

1/2 C. + 2 T. All Purpose Flour
1/2 C. sugar
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/4 C. vegetable oil ( I use Smart Balance Brand)
1/2 t. vanilla extract
2 bananas, very ripe and mashed
1 egg

Cinnamon Sugar- optional (I buy this in the spice section of the grocery store, but you can mix together cinnamon and sugar for the same effect)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with non stick spray.
In a bowl mix together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Add the vegetable oil, vanilla, mashed bananas, and egg. Mix all together until thoroughly combined, but do not over mix.
Place batter into loaf pan. Optionally, sprinkle top with cinnamon sugar.
Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes.
Lower oven to 350 degree and bake another 25-30 minutes.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos to Lauren and Seth for making such a delicious and gorgeous brunch spread. There was:
Bagels, Lox, Cream Cheese, Hard Cheeses, Rainbow of Vegeteables and Fruits, Hard Boiled eggs, and Fried Eggs, and can't forget Banana Bread. Hopefully they will invite us over for brunch again very soon!

Enjoy the rest of your weekdend!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment