Thursday, March 31, 2011

3-31-2011 Easy Quiche Dinner and Central Market

My sister called me earlier this week with news that she had been at Central Market, and they now have a huge kosher section. This warranted a trip to check it out a.s.a.p. I snapped a quick photo of one area:

It is hard to see it in the picture, but they have a refrigerator case filled with kosher meats. I was excited to find Aaron's Best Polish Sausage, something I haven't seen since the whole Rubashkin ordeal. I snatched it right up, and was racking my brain as to how I was going to cook it.
 
I was in the waiting room at my doc's office today, looking through a magazine, after seeing a recipe for a quiche, a lightbulb went off in my head. I decided to make a sausage quiche, and what a great idea that was.
 
My whole dinner was quick, easy, and delicious. King Hock went nuts, he was complaining about overeating shortly after our meal (he ate more than half of the entire quiche himself!)
 
The side dishes I made with it were baked kale, and homeade baked potato chips.
 
The baked kale was a request of my older son. Seriously, how can you deny a child asking for kale?
 
I got the recipe for the baked potato chips from my good friend Sarah. She had made these addictive potatoes once when she had us over for dinner.
 
Here are pics and recipes:
 
 
Sausage Quiche
 
1 frozen pie crust, I used a Mrs. Smith's parve one
8 oz. sausage, I used Polish cut into small pieces, I cut the sausage in half lengthwise, then half lengthwise again, and then chopped it into thin pieces, hint: think about cutting a hot dog for a toddler
1 T. olive oil
6 eggs
1/2 C. plain soy milk
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. onion powder
2.5 oz of fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped (this is 1/2 of an organic 5 oz. package)
 
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a large non stick skillet heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the chopped sausage and cook until all sides are nicely browned. Drain on paper towels.
In a medium bowl, crack open the 6 eggs, add the soy milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Using a whisk, stir until combined.
Place the spinach and cooked sausage into the pie crust. Pour the egg mixture over.
Place pie on a baking sheet. Bake for 30-45 minutes, until the eggs are set and it looks slightly puffed.
 
 
Baked Kale
I have posted this recipe recently, but here it is again.
 
1 bunch kale, washed and dried
olive oil
seasoned salt (I used morton's seasoned salt)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Tear kale leaves away the center stem, discarding the stems.  Place on a baking sheet covered with foil or parchment. Drizzle with olive oil, about 1-2 Tablespoons. Sprinkle with seasoned salt. Bake for 15 minutes, until edges are crispy.
 
 
 
 
Baked Potato Chips serves 4
To cut the potatoes very thin, you will need a sharp paring knife ( click on the word paring knife to see my favorite ones). Even better would be to use a mandoline, which could be dangerous for inexperienced users.
 
4 baking potatoes
1-2 T. olive oil
Seasoned Salt, Sarah told me to use Nature's Seasoning- that's what I always use for this recipe
 
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
Cut the potatoes in very thin slices. Place the slices in a large bowl and drizzle on the olive, toss until completely coated. Lay in a single flat layer on the baking sheets. Sprinkle with seasoning salt.
Place in the oven and cook until nicely browned and crisp, about 40 minutes. Watch to make sure they don't burn.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Stressful thoughts of cooking tomorrow's Shabbat dinner are already invading my mind. I made my menu a few days ago, I'm going to make an Italian inspired shabbat dinner. Don't forget to check back tomorrow late afternoon! .
 
P.S. I am taking my first shot at making cake balls tomorrow, can't wait to share.
 
 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment