Monday, February 14, 2011

2-14 Happy Valemtime's Day

Today was as my son calls it "Valemtime's Day." My husband and I don't make a huge deal of celebrating it. We stayed at home tonight and had a family dinner. I made Chicken Not Parmigiana with pasta, steamed brocolli, and Caesar Salad.
The Chicken not parmigiana is a kosher version of an Italian favorite without the cheese. I served it over a bed of Barilla Pasta Plus Spaghetti, the yellow box, which was an attempt to serve healthier pasta. Another attempt to make healthier food is that I did not fry the chicken, I baked it.
My kids love this chicken because it is like homemade chicken nuggets.
Here is the recipe:
Serves 2
Chicken Not Parmigiana

2 Chicken Breasts , pounded thin between 2 sheets of plastic wrap
1 egg, beaten, (may have to add another one)
1 C. seasoned bread crumbs, (may have to add more)

Preheat oven to 400
Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
Place egg in one bowl, and bread crumbs in another
Dip pounded chicken first in eggs, then bread crumbs making sure it is completely coated
lay flat on baking sheet
Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until it is no longer pink in the middle
Place over a bed of pasta, and top with a generous amount of your favorite jar of pasta sauce.

My favorite pasta sauces include: Newman's Own Organic or Regular, Barilla Marinara, and Emeril's
I always alternate between these. I have also found it really delicious to mix Barilla and Newman's own.

Here is a picture of my complete dinner:
(The chicken is hiding under the sauce, it's hard to see it)


For dessert we had sugar cookies we decorated earlier in the afternoon. I love doing any type of cooking with my children. They particularly enjoyed this project. They helped me from start to finish. They loved decorating them, but I think they loved eating them even more.This cut out sugar cookie recipe is simple and does not require refrigeration time like most cut out recipes do.
Here is the recipe:
Cut Out Sugar Cookies
1 C. butter, or margarine, unsalted
1 C. sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
2 teaspoons Baking Powder ( I prefer Clabber Girl)
1/4 tsp. Salt
2 3/4 C. Flour

Directions: Heat oven to 400. Spray cookie sheets with nonstick spray, or use parchment, or a silpat
In the bowl of a stand mixer, or use just a bowl and hand mixer, place the butter.
 Beat until creamy, then add the sugar, and beat until all mixed together.
Add the egg and vanilla, and beat a few seconds until well incorporated
In a seperate bowl mix together the baking powder, salt, and flour
Add to butter mixture and keep mixing until dough has formed a ball, you may have to do the end part by hand if the dough does not come together.
Split in half. Roll half out on floured countertop. Roll to desired even thickness, and use cookie cutters to cut shapes. Place cookies on cookie sheet.
Bake for 8 minutes. The cookies should be set, but not brown on the edges.
Decorate with your choice of icings, sprinkles, etc.

Here is a picture of the 3 cookies I decorated. I let the kids do all the rest.
Hope you had a Happy Valemtime's Day!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment