Sunday, February 20, 2011

2-20-2011 Sunday Breakfast and Dinner

First off, I love breakfast. I will never go a day without missing breakfast. I remember when I went into labor with my first son in the middle of the night. While in labor, I asked the nurses when and if I would be able to eat breakfast. They laughed and told me there was no way that was happening (you cannot eat while in labor, and they thought it would be impossible that I could have my baby that quickly.) Sure enough my son was born at 8:30 A.M! And sure enough, I got my breakfast.

We love to go to a popular brunch spot in town on Sundays. If you get there on the early side, there usually is no wait. This place does everything right. From the moment you are seated at your table, they bring you a plate with an assortment of muffins and breads. This bread plate is a great pacifier for my hungry kids. I wanted to take a picture of it to show you, but by the time I got my camera out, the plate had been demolished.
 They have an excellent menu with a vast array of options. Most of the time I sit there and stare at the menu, contemplating what to order. Today, Hubby and I shared a vegetable scramble composed of: eggs, cheese, broccoli, artichoke hearts, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, and spinach. It came with hash browns and toast, and was all delicious. Sometimes when we are in the mood for something a bit different, we split the breakfast tacos, or smoked salmon sandwich. Truly, you cannot go wrong with anything on the menu, everything is wonderful. Another good part of  Breadwinners is how after eating there you will never feel greasy. I find at many other breakfast places around town I leave feeling greased out. The greased out feeling is part of the reason we got burnt out on going to Cindy's after 5 years of going there every Sunday.

This picture of my breakfast does not do itself justice, but oh well!:
I eat eggs 365 about mornings a year, actually I am about to turn into one. I like them cooked any style. I find that without this breakfast staple,  I am hungry soon thereafter. My favorite thing to eat with eggs is waffles. I am not talking about Eggos or Vans, I am talking about homemade from scratch waffles. I got a waffle iron as a wedding gift, I swear it gets better with use. The one I have is a cuisinart, here is a link to buy it on amazon for only $20
I am going to warn you before I give you this recipe, these waffles are addictive. I make them for breakfast and crave them the rest of the day. They do make a good snack slathered with peanut butter. The best part about these waffles are, whatever you don't eat hot off the iron, you can freeze for another time. All you do is pop them in a toaster oven straight from the freezer and voila! They are good with the plain butter and maple syrup, but I also like them with strawberry jam. I have made this recipe so many times, I know it by heart.
Parve Waffles
2 C. all purpose flour
2 T. sugar
1 T. baking powder (Clabber Girl is the best)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
6 T. vegetable oil (I use Smart Balance brand)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 C. unsweetned soy milk (any soy milk will work)
Plug in and preheat waffle iron. Mix together the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Add eggs, oil, vanilla, and soy milk. Mix until just combined. Let batter rest for 10 minutes. Make waffles according to manufacturer's directions. For the waffle iron listed above, use 1/2 C. batter per waffle.
For dinner tonight Hubby, kids and I went to Maggiano's with my in-laws. Although it is a chain, it is consistently good all around. Here's another restaurant that has it down, right off the bat they bring you hot bread. They have 2 really good salads, I always have a hard time deciding which one to order. The contenders are Caesar salad and their chopped salad minus the prosciutto. The chopped salad is what we split tonight, it had lettuce, tomato, avocado, and blue cheese it was all chopped up and tossed with a tasty vinegarette, mmmm I adore that salad! The main course we also split, again because their portions are gigantic. We had perfectly cooked salmon with spinach and potatoes. The whole meal was lovely except....the part where my kids obnoxiously made a loud racquet, jumped up and down in our booth like a trampoline, and spilled their drinks repeatedly, I am trying to forget that part of our dinner.  Otherwise, overall, we had a great Sunday filled with delicious meals.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment