Wednesday, February 9, 2011

2-9-2011 Cozy Comfort Food and Food Obsessions

Today's weather was a repeat of last week's chill and ice. For some reason this weather makes me crave comfort food. Everyone has a different idea of what they find comforting to eat, what I made tonight is my ultimate: Roasted Chicken, Roasted Potatoes, Sauteed Mushrooms, and Spinach Salad.

Roasted Chicken is a very simple dish to make. Tonight I was short on time, so I made a plain one with only olive oil and Lawry's salt, but my all time favorite recipe is made on top of a can of beer.
Beer Can Chicken
1 chicken rinsed in cold water and patted very dry, inside and out with paper towels 

1/2 of a can beer(6 ounces of a 12 ounce can, any brand, any variety, once even used coke)

1/4 cup paprika

1/8 cup salt

3 T. pepper

1/2 cup packed brown sugar


Instructions:
1 Mix 4 dry ingredients together.

2 Use this rub inside and out of the cleaned, dry chicken.

3 Be generous.

4 Place 1/2 can of beer in center of roasting pan.

5 Position"bottom" of chicken over beer and slide chicken over the can of beer until the chicken is"sitting" upright in the pan.

6 The fit will be snug and chicken will be secure.

7 Roast uncovered at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

8 Do not baste, do not turn pan.

9 The beer will steam the chicken deliciously.

10 When done, carefully remove can of beer from chicken and serve.



Here are some pictures from my dinner tonight with their recipes:
Basic Roasted Potatoes:
Preheat oven to 425,
Cut  Potatoes in wedges, place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt, and fresh cracked pepper. Place in the oven for 45 minutes until browned to your liking.

Spinach Salad with Apples, Toasted Almonds, and Apple Cider Vinegrette
1 package of fresh spinach
1 apple of your choice peeled and thinly sliced
1/4 C. slivered almond toasted in oven at 350 for 10-12 minutes until aromatic and light brown

Apple Cider Vinegrette Dressing
1/8 C. Apple Cider Vinegar (I favor Bragg's found at Whole Foods, it's the best!)
1/8 C. Maple Syrup
1/8 C. Vegetable Oil (I use the Smart Balance brand I feel it is somehow healthier)
1/4-1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt, or to taste
Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste

Place all of the Dressing ingredients into a jar, screw on cap and shake until emulsified. Toss Salad with apples, almonds, and dressing.

I am a big believer in homemade salad dressings. Very rarely would I ever use a store brought one. The key is the jar, you need to start saving empty glass jars with lids. I save jam jars and marinara jars wash them thoroughly and then use them just for making salad dressings.

I was inspired to make mushrooms after reading in a magazine how they are very good for you.
Sauteed Mushrooms
2 tablespoons margarine

1 (8 ounce) package sliced white mushrooms

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 teaspoons soy sauce

freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste


Melt the margarine in skillet over medium heat; add the mushrooms; cook and stir until the mushrooms have softened and released their liquid, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic; continue to cook and stir for 1 minute. Pour in the soy sauce; cook the mushrooms a few more minutes

All in all we had a perfect meal and felt satisfied. 

Last thing...I always seem to have some foods I am obsessed with. Whatever the food obsession is at that moment, I can never seem to get enough. I am going to share with you my current food obsessions. The first one is Peanut Butter Pretzel Mojo Bars by Cliff. They are the perfect balance of salty and sweet, and are nutritionally a really good snack. They have 10 grams of protein, low sugar, and 180 calories. Ughhhh I am in love with them!
My second obsession right now is not food but hot tea. The tea in particular is Mighty Leaf green and white tea combo box. I love all 4 teas that come with it White Nectar, Green Tea Tropical, Jasmine, and Green tea.
The third obsession I am sharing with you is Greek Yogurt, specifically Chobani Raspberry sprinkled with Bear Naked Vanilla Almond Granola.

All righty then, that't it for tonight! Talk to you tomorrow.




Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I made this beer can chicken for shabbat two weeks ago and it was EASY and tasty!! I also made roasted potatoes and a sauteed mushroom dish that my family enjoys. Thanks so much for posting such great recipes!!

    ReplyDelete