Monday, December 12, 2011

12-12-2011 Pumpkin Ravioli and Crispy Chicken

I will admit it, I am a bookworm. I could sit 24 hours straight reading a book, and I have done it a time or two. My favorite types of book are fiction, and cookbooks. Some of my all time favorite books are: Memoirs of a Geisha, Secret Daughter, The Red Tent, The Tea Rose, Alicia, The Covenant, The Borgia Bride, Snowflower and the Secret Fan, A Thousand Splendid Suns, and City of Thieves.

Anyways the reason I'm telling you this is because I am in the middle of an amazing book right now. It is consuming my mind, I am having trouble concentrating on things because all I can think about is reading this book. I'm thinking about it now, so I need to hurry up and tell you about my dinner so I can get on with my reading.

For dinner I made a super easy pumpkin ravioli in which I loved. I am from the camp where it wouldn't be a proper meal without adequate protein, therefore I made a crispy chicken with it. We also had a spinach salad and steamed brocolli.

The inspiration for the pumpkin ravioli came from a dish I enjoyed recently at a restaurant. I took a shortcut and used wonton skins to make them.

The crispy chicken was very tasty and I ate way more than my fair share, I just couldn't stop. I got the recipe from my sister after she made it a few times and was raving about it. She got the recipe from the magazine Cuisine at Home.

Here are the recipes/pics:



Pumpkin Ravioli

1 shallot, finely diced
1 T. margarine
1 T. sherry wine
1 C. pumpkin puree from a can (not pumpkin pie mix)
1/2 C. parve cream cheese, I used Tofutti
1 egg
salt and pepper
1/4 t. dried sage, I used rubbed Dalmation Sage
1/4 t. nutmeg
44 wonton skins, usually found in produce refrigerated section at grocery stores

6 T. margarine, melted
1/4 C. pecans, toasted
dried sage

In a medium skillet, melt the 1 T. margarine over medium heat, add the shallot, and cook until translucent, being careful not to brown. Turn off the heat and add the sherry. Mix in the pumpkin, and cream cheese. Stir until combined. Stir in the egg. Add 1/2 t. salt, and a pinch of pepper. Add the sage and nutmeg. Stir until all combined.

On a sheet pan lay out 22 wonton skins, top each with 1 T. of the pumpkin mixture. Use your finger and dip in water and wet the edges of the skin. Top each with the remaining 22 skins. Seal the edges, pressing out the extra air. I would wet and seal one ravioli at a time.

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Working in batches, drop the ravioli into the boiling water. The ravioli is done when it is floating, about 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon.

To serve, pour the melted margarine over the raviolis. Top with the toasted pecans and sprinkle with sage.


________________________________________________________________________________


Crispy Chicken

2 chicken breast, cut in half and pounded thin
2 egg whites
2 t. cornstarch
juice of 1/2 a lemon

1 C. panko bread crumbs
zest of 1 lemon
1 t. dried parsley
1 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper

3 T. olive or vegetable oil


To pound the chicken breasts, place in a large ziploc bag with a few drops of water. Use a meat mallet to pound to an even thickness.

Whisk together the egg whites, corn starch, and lemon juice. Mix together the bread crumbs, lemon zest, dried parsley, salt, and pepper.

Dip the chicken into the egg white mixture and then into the bread crumb mixture. Place on a rack (like a baker's cooling rack) and place into the refrigerator uncovered for 30 minutes, to dry.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Heat 3 T. oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook about 3 minutes per side until nicely browned. Remove to a sheet pan. Place in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until the center is cooked through.


__________________________________________________________________________

Yay! Now I can go read my book, I am definitely going to have to set a bedtime tonight, so I don't stay up all night.

Have a good night. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment