Friday, December 23, 2011

12-23-2011 Sufganiyot (Doughnuts!)

We are already knee deep in Hanukkah, lighting menorahs, celebrating with family and friends, and of course can't forget the presents. Ughhh the presents, the kids are driving me crazy. Yesterday they both got new shoes (ugly light up ones they picked out), you should of seen them when I tried to tell them that was their Hanukkah present. Who gets shoes for Hanukkah?

On Hanukah, we customarily eat foods fried in oil to commerate the miracle of the holiday (basically one week a year I have a fried food binge, there's no telling the total number of latkes I have already consumed). Tonight will be my first taste of sufganiyot, so I am super excited.

Attention: if you own a bread machine, you are in luck because I am about to share with you an outrageously easy and delicious way to make sufganiyot. If you don't own a mixer, you could make this dough in a Kitchenaid mixer with the dough hook, then let it rise and double in size one time before shaping into doughnuts. Also, I make mine parve so they can be served with a meat meal, feel free to sub the soy milk for regular milk if it doesn't make a difference to you.

Here is the recipe:


Bread Machine Doughnuts

I got this recipe from food.com, and this is the 3rd year I've made it.

1 1/4 C. soy milk
1 egg
1/4 C. shortening, I used crisco
1 t. salt
1/4 C. sugar
3 1/2 C. all purpose flour
1 1/2 t. dried yeast

Raspberry Jam (seedless)
Powdered Sugar

Place the above ingredients in the order listed above starting with the soy milk, or according to your bread maker's instructions.

Turn on the dough cycle. When dough cycle is over, remove the dough from the pan, and roll out to 1/2 inch thick. Cut out 2 1/2 inch circles, using a round glass, cookie cutter, or a doughnut cutter.

Cover, and let rise for 30 minutes until doubled.

Fill a soup pot 4 inches high with oil, I find peanut oil to be the best. Heat the oil to 375 degrees. Gently place the doughnuts in batches into the oil, flip when they float to the surface and one side is golden brown, fry until the other side is brown.

Remove from the oil to drain on paper towels. Let cool.

To fill the doughnuts with jam, you will need a hard icing tip, I have one that is extra long I found in the cake decorating area of a craft store. Put the tip into a ziploc or pastry bag and fill with the raspberry jam. Poke a hole in the side of the doughnut with a straw and pipe until filled to your liking. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve as soon as possible. The fresher the better.

The piping bag and tip:



____________________________________________________________________________

I hope you have a Happy Hanukkah or whatever holiday your celebrate.

P.S. here is a peak at the doughnuts I made with icing and sprinkles:
Pin It

1 comment: