Sunday, May 1, 2011

5-1-2011 Pop Goes the Popover

We made plans to have some family and friends over this morning, and then go out for brunch. I wanted to make something that would hold everyone's appetites over until brunch, so I decided to make popovers.

I am a popover fanatic. There is a great restaurant my hubby and I frequent, and they serve popovers as their bread. I swear I think about going there every date night, just for the popovers.

Another favorite place of mine that serves popovers is the cafe at Neiman Marcus. They are famous for their popovers and broth that they bring you when you are first seated.

King Hock likes to joke that I have leisurely lunches at Neiman Marcus everyday, while he is slaving away at the office. This is far from the truth, but I must admit I do go there on occasion.

I made popovers and strawberry butter both from the Neiman Marcus Cookbook. The popover recipe calls for milk, which I substituted for soy milk because my dairy kitchen isn't well equiped. I was suprised at how good they turned out.

My mother in law and I went crazy eating them. We probably ate a dozen together. I just had another one a few minutes ago for a snack. I am warning you, they are so addictive!

Here are the pictures and recipes:



Neiman Marcus Popovers

6 eggs
3 1/2 cups milk (I used soy milk)
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking powder

Preheat oven to 450° F.

While eggs are still in shells, warm them to room temperature by running
hot water over them for three to four minutes.

Heat the milk until it is warm to the touch.

Sift  flour, salt and baking powder together into a large bowl.

Beat the eggs at high speed until foamy and pale in color (about three minutes).

Stir in the warm milk at low speed.

Gradually add the flour mixture to the beaten eggs at low speed.
Beat for two minutes on medium speed. Let the batter rest for one hour.

Spray (heavily) a 12-cup, Teflon-lined popover tin with nonstick cooking spray. I used a muffin tin, and it made 24 smaller popovers.

Fill cups almost to the top with batter.
Place popover tin on a cookie sheet.

Bake for 15 minutes at 450° F, then reduce heat to 375° F and bake for an additional 20-30 minutes.
Popovers should be a deep golden brown on the outside and airy on the inside.
Serve hot with strawberry butter.



Neiman Marcus Strawberry Butter

Not sure what I like better, the popover, or the strawberry butter

1/2 C. butter (I used parve margarine)
1/2 C. strawberry preserves (use a good quality one)

Whip butter with electric mixer until fluffy. Add the strawberry preserves. Return to the refrigerator and allow to solidify.
Goes well with toast or any type of bread

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check back later tonight, we are having a barbeque! Better get in the kitchen right now, and get started. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment