Monday, May 9, 2011

5-9-2011 Simple Roasted Chicken and Banana Muffins

If you are wondering why I have been MIA for the last few days, there is a good reason for that...we went out of town to celebrate Mother's Day, my parents came as well. The kids had a blast getting to swim and such, and in turn I had a blast. Thank you to my incredible husband, kids, and parents for an awesome Mother's Day weekend.

Now onto food.

This afternoon, I was craving muffins. When I went in to the kitchen to satisfy my craving (by whipping some up), the black bananas were crying out to me. You guessed it! I made some yummy banana muffins. See the recipe and pic below.

Sometimes the simplest of simple is the best. Tonight, I made the simplest roasted chicken with stunning results. I also made roasted potatoes (they just go hand in hand), and a spinach salad. The dinner was pretty much effortless, and messless.

King Hock looooooved the chicken. He must of told me 10 times. I agree with him.

There are a few secrets:

1. Buying kosher chicken, it has been soaked in salted water (brined), which makes it extra moist and tasty
2. Buying very fresh chicken, I bought the chicken I made today.
3. Cooking the chicken perfectly, check with a thermometer, it is done when it reads 165-170 degrees, I usually just cook it for 1.5 hours
4. Letting the chicken rest on the counter 10 minutes after taking it out of the oven, before cutting into it



Simple Roasted Chicken

1 whole chicken
Adobo Seasoning
Olive oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the chicken in a roasting pan. Rub the skin with olive oil, and inside the cavity. Sprinkle genenrously with the adobo seasoning.
Bake for 1.5 hours, or until the thermometer reaches 165-170 degrees.



_________________________________________________________________________________



Banana Muffins

1 1/2 C. all purpose flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
3 bananas, very ripe, and mashed
3/4 C. sugar
1 egg
1/3 C. vegetable oil
1 t. vanilla extract
cinnamon sugar (I buy it in a shaker from the spice aisle)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line a muffin cup with papers. This recipe makes 12 muffins.
In a bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Add the egg, vegetable oil, vanilla, and bananas. Mix until just combined, do not overmix.
Scoop batter evenly into muffin papers. Sprinkle tops with cinnamon sugar.
Bake for 25 minutes.

____________________________________________________________________________

I hope you had a Happy Mother's Day.

Have a good evening! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment