Monday, November 28, 2011

11-28-2011 Hamburger Vegetable Soup and Oat Cloverleaf Rolls

Oh my gosh I am so full right now, I must admit I'm a little bit mad at myself for eating so much. I I think I ate too much hamburger vegetable soup, and I know I ate too many oat cloverleaf rolls. Ughhhh, help!

I have a weak spot for fresh baked bread, I would pick it any day over ice cream or other baked goods. There was a point in my life when I would chose which restaurant I wanted to go to by their bread, some of the best breads in my opinion are: Papadeaux's Sour Dough, Macaroni Grill's Rosemary, Celebration's whole bread basket, particularly their blueberry muffins, and Luby's Cloverleaf Rolls (where I got tonight's inspiration).

I used my bread machine to make the rolls, and if you don't already own one, I highly suggest it. Treat yourself for Hanukah, Xmas, etc. $60, you will not be sorry.
http://www.amazon.com/Oster-5838-ExpressBake-Breadmaker-White/dp/B00005OTXK/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1322530018&sr=8-13

As for the hamburger vegetable soup, I got the idea to make it after I looked around the kitchen and used things I already had. I quickly threw it all together, and was very happy with the end result.

Here are the recipes:


Hamburger Vegetable Soup

This hearty soup is perfect for a cold night.

2 T. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2-4 carrots, peeled and diced or sliced
2-4 stalks of celery including leaves, sliced
1.5 lbs. ground beef
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 C. potatoes, chopped
1 C. green beans, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 can corn
1 can diced tomatoes, 14.5 oz
1/2 C. frozen peas
1.5 qt. (48 oz) vegetable broth, I used Pacific low sodium, I also like Imagine
1 t. dried oregano
1 t. dried basil
1/2 t. pepper
1 t. salt, or to taste
1/4 C. ketchup

Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the onion, carrots, and celery. Saute over medium high until the onions are translucent. Add the ground beef and garlic, and cook until the meat is brown and cooked through. Add the rest of the ingredients, and stir until combined. Bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer. Simmer for 45 minutes-1 hour, until the potatoes are tender.

____________________________________________________________________________


Oat Cloverleaf Rolls (Bread Machine)

These are so delish, they are hard to stop eating.

1 1/4 C. water
2 T. margarine cut into cubes
1 t. salt
2 T. brown sugar
1/2 C. rolled oats
3 C. all purpose flour
1 1/2 t. active dry yeast

Place the above ingredients into the bowl of your bread machine, and turn on the dough cycle. Once the cycle finishes, remove the dough. Cut into 12 equal size pieces. Cut each of these pieces into 3. Spray a muffin tin with non stick spray. Roll each piece of dough into a ball, and place 3 balls in each muffin cup.

Cover with a dish towel and let rise for 30 minutes to 1 hour in a warm draft free place, until doubled in bulk. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until lightly browned on top and the bottom sounds hollow when tapped.


_________________________________________________________________________

Please excuse me while I try to get comfortable, after overeating.

Have a good night! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment