Friday, November 4, 2011

11-4-2011 Mini Thanksgiving Shabbat for 2

The Hock house has been super crazy this week. We have had some bouts of stomach virus, I won't gross you out with details, they are not too pretty. I am looking forward to a relaxing shabbat and weekend.

On another note, I am so excited that my favorite holiday,Thanksgiving, is only a few weeks away. I wait for it all year. Every so often throughout the year, I indulge my year round Thanksgiving cravings and make my favorite components (turkey, cornbread dressing, and cranberry sauce). Perfection is a combo of those three things in one bite, yum!

I had actually planned a different menu for tonight, but as I was shopping in the produce area at the supermarket I saw fresh cranberries, my mouth watered with anticipation (decided I couldn't wait another 3 weeks) and then I had a complete menu change.

Kosher and Thanksgiving pose many challenges, as the traditional meal invloves mixing a lot of meat and dairy. Over the years I have come up with some great kosher recipes for this holiday, and I can't wait to share them with you, which I will do as we get a little closer to Thanksgiving. Tonight, I'm going to give you the recipe for homemade cranberry sauce, if you have never made it before, it is beyond easy, and of course way better than the canned variety.

Here is the menu:

1. Challah
2. Spinach Salad with dried cranberries and apples
3. Salmon Cakes
4. Roasted Chicken Breasts (in place on turkey)
5. Cornbread dressing, recipe coming soon!!
6. Cranberry Sauce
7. Squash Casserole
8. Cupcakes


Cranberry Sauce

1 bag cranberries (3 C.)
1 C. sugar
1 C. water

Place the sugar and water in a sauce pan, and bring to a boil. Add the cranberries, stirring occasionally, simmer until the cranberries burst. Turn off the heat, and the sauce will thicken as it cools. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to use.

_________________________________________________________________________

I hope you (and I) have a relaxing Shabbat and weekend! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment