Friday, July 15, 2011

7-15-2011 Shabbat

I'm not feeling that great right now, I have a cold and I lost my speaking voice ( happens everytime). The good news for you, is that I still have my written voice, and even though I'm feeling lousy, I still find the need to cook a beautiful shabbat dinner.  I know I must be crazy.

 I know I have told you this before, but I am a huge germphobe. You can't pay me to eat off my kid's plates, or share a drink with them. But, there was no avoiding germs after my sick son sneezed in my face a few times.

Here is what we are having tonight:

1. Challah
2. Salmon Cakes
3. Bonnie's Caesar Salad, recipe below
4. Whole Roasted Chicken
5. Roasted Potatoes
6. Garlic String Beans with Mango, recipe below
7. Best Chocolate Chip Cookies EVER!, recipe below

The Caesar salad recipe comes from my sister's mother in law, Bonnie. In my eyes she is most famous for her pickles, "Bonnie Pickles." Over the years we have had many festive meals over at Bonnie's house, and I always look forward to her pickles.

I'm going to let you in on the secret of how to make these pickles, I hope Bonnie doesn't mind. First of all, you must buy Vlassic Kosher Dills, the big ones. Then, cut each pickle in half longwise, and half again, making spears. If you just buy the Vlasic kosher dill spears, they will not be the same.



This caesar recipe is not a creamy one like I usually make. It is more of a vinaigrette and it's nice and light. I left out the parmesan cheese because we are having a meat meal. Feel free to add parmesan if you would like.

Here is the recipe:

Bonnie's Caesar Salad Dressing

Serve this dressing over chopped romaine lettuce and croutons

1/2 C. extra virgin olive oil
1 clove of garlic, use 2 if you like it really garlicky
1 t. salt
1/4 t. dried mustard, I prefer Coleman's in the yellow tin
pinch of pepper
5 drops Worcestershire sauce
2 1/2 T. red wine vinegar
1 lemon, juiced

Place the oil in a jar with a lid. Take the clove of garlic and smash it with a meat mallet or a frying pan. Place the garlic in the oil, it should still be somewhat 1 piece. Add the rest of the ingredients. Shake to emulsify. Store in the refrigerate for at least a few hours to let the garlic flavor penetrate, remove the garlic when ready to serve.



_______________________________________________________________________

Garlic String Beans with Mango

This recipe is adapted from Kosher By Design, by Susie Fishbein

2 lbs. green beans, trimmed
5 green onions, roughly chopped and ends trimmed
7 cloves garlic, peeled
1/4 C. balsamic vinegar
3 T. water
1/2 C. olive oil
1 (.92 oz.) packet garlic dry salad dressing mix, found in the salad dressing aisle at the supermarket
2 T. dijon mustard
3 T. honey
1 large mango, peeled and diced
2 handfuls sunflower seeds, optional
2 handfuls chopped walnuts, optional

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the green beans and cook for 5-7 minutes until crisp tender. Drain the green beans and run under cold water to stop the cooking.

In a bowl place the scallions, garlic, balsamic vingear, water, oil, dressing packet, honey, and mustard. Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth. Store in the refrigerator. Remove from the fridge at least 30 minutes before serving, and shake well.

Pour dressing over green beans right before serving, add the mango, and if you using, the sunflower seeds and or walnuts.  Mix well.

____________________________________________________________________________



The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies EVER!

The blog world is going bonkers over this recipe right now. I saw it on several blogs over the last few days, every single one was raving about these cookies. I had to give them try. I used chocolate chips, because I needed to make them pareve, but if you want to use M and M's, that is even better. Make 28 large cookies.

1 1/2 sticks salted butter or margarine (12 T.) I just found this new parve margarine at Walmart, Best Life brand, it's wonderful
1 C. brown sugar
1/2 C. white sugar
1 egg and 1 yolk, room temperature
2 t. vanilla extract
2 C. + 2 T. all purpose flour
1/2 t. baking soda
1 C. chocolate chips or M and M's

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cover a sheet pan with parchment paper, and set aside.

Melt the margarine or butter in the microwave about 1 minute. Let stand at room temperature for 10-20 minutes until no longer warm.

In a large bowl mix together the melted butter or margarine and the brown and white sugar. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla. Mix until combined.

In a medium bowl combine the flour and baking soda.

Add the flour and soda to the bowl with the dough. Mix until combined. Mix in the chocolate chips.

Scoop out heaping tablespoon sized balls of dough. Pull apart into 2 pieces. Place one piece on the baking sheet and stack the second piece ontop, making a sloppy looking snowman (see pic). Repeat this process with more dough, placing the cookies 1-2 inches apart.

Bake for 10 minutes until the edges are golden brown, do not over bake.

Let cool on sheet pan for 10 minutes, then move to a cooling rack.



__________________________________________________________________________

Be well. Have a good Shabbat and weekend. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment