Wednesday, July 20, 2011

7-20-2011 Drew's Birthday, Kobe's Ginger Dressing

Today is my baby brother Drew's 23rd birthday. Well, he's definitely not a baby anymore, but he will always be a baby to me. To celebrate his birthday, the whole family got together to enjoy a dinner with Drew's favorite foods, marinated flank steak, sesame noodles, and ginger salad.

My sister made the sesame noodles, which were awesome! Drew has loved sesame noodles since he was a baby. When Drew was very young, we found out he had a severe peanut allergy, among many other food allergies. My family used to frequent a Chinese restaurant that had the most delicious sesame noodles (called Dan Dan noodles). We would always order them, and I remember Drew could eat them because they were made without peanuts. This was a big deal because there wasn't much he could eat.

I made the ginger salad and it was so so so delish, we were all slurping up the leftover salad dressing at the bottom of our salad bowls.

I have posted the recipe for a ginger dressing before that was adapted from Benihana's recipe. A few people have requested the Kobe Steak's recipe. I scoured the internet looking for this recipe. I will say, the one I made was pretty darn close.

Here it is:

Kobe Steak's Ginger Salad Dressing

I found this recipe on recipelink.com, it was submitted by Juliana, thanks Juliana!

1/2 small onion, roughly chopped
1/2 C. vegetable oil
1/2 C. vinegar
1 T. mustard
1/4 C. + 1 T. teriyaki sauce
1 inch piece ginger, peeled
salt and pepper, to taste

Place the ginger and onion in a food processor. Pulse until it is a smooth paste. Add the other ingredients and blend until combined. Store in a jar with a lid in the refrigerator. Shake or stir before pouring over the salad.

This dressing is great served exactly like Kobe's does with chopped iceberg lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, and packaged croutons.

Sesame Noodles

This recipe is a winner every time. It comes from the Kosher Palette.

1 (16oz) package linguine, or spaghetti, whole wheat works nicely too
6 cloves garlic, minced, (Ashley used only 2 cloves, I think that's better)
6 Tablespoons Sugar
6 Tablespoons vegetable oil
6 Tablespoons rice vinegar
6 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 Tablespoons sesame oil
1-2 teaspoons Chinese chili sauce or crushed red pepper flakes
6 scallions, sliced
1 teaspoon sesame seeds toasted
 
Cook linguine according to packages instructions, drain and transfer to a large serving bowl.
 
Combine garlic, sugar, oil, vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, chili sauce in a saucepan over medium high heat, stir constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and the sugar is dissolved.
 
Pour over linguine tossing to coat, sprinkle with sesame seeds and scallions.
 
Ashley says, "This dish tastes the best if made the day before you serve it, to allow the flavor to develop."
 
_____________________________________________________________________________
 
Happy Birthday Drew, I love you so much! I hope you had a great day!
 
P.S. I also made Drew his favorite cake, Coffee Angel Food Cake. I must share that recipe with you one day soon.
 
 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment