Monday, July 18, 2011

7-18-2011 Sloppy Joes

We had quite a meal tonight. King Hock, a true meat lover, made a little meat order from a kosher website: http://www.grillerspride.com/

Being the good wife that I am, I prepared him and my family an Argentinean asado. We had: grilled bone in ribeye, grilled skirt steak, grilled sweet breads (these are the glands that surround a cow's heart, they're a huge delicacy for King Hock, no one else ventured to try them), chimichurri sauce, salsa golf, palmitos a.k.a. hearts of palm, green salad with beets, mango, and cucumber, puree de calabaza (mashed butternut squash), baked potatoes, and last but not least sloppy joes.

Yes, I did say sloppy joes. I was worried there wasn't going to be anything for the little ones to eat, and just in case there wasn't enough food, everyone could always eat some of the slop.

Now at this point, I am sure you are expecting me to go into great detail about cooking all of the above. But, I will spare you. Here is a past post where I made many of the same things:
http://www.leehock.com/2011/04/4-20-2011-vamos-argentina.html

 I do want to tell you about my sloppy joes. For one, I have always loved them. I remember eating them in elementary school from the cafeteria, they were always served with tator tots. My mom frequently made them as well.

There is no real secret to them. Here's the process: brown ground beef, drain the fat, open a can of Manwich, and pour it over and stir, serve in a hamburger bun. I promise you, this is the best way. I know this for sure. I have tried a few different from scratch sloppy joe recipes, all yielding different flavors. Not a single one was ever as good as Manwich.

So, now you know my secret to making this true culinary delight.

Manwich

Everyone definitely enjoyed the Argentinean fare, and everyone also enjoyed the sloppy joes. My mom put sloppy joes in her baked potato, then I quickly copied her (nice idea!). That right there could be it's own blog post subject matter, sloppy joe stuffed baked potatoes.

I hope you have a great night! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment