Wednesday, August 24, 2011

8-24-2011 Balsamic Chicken

Sorry for the lack of reading material over the last few days. I have been beyond busy. I've had/have doctors appointments, school starting, birthdays, and tons of errands getting in the way of my cooking.

You can imagine that it was nice for us to have our first home cooked meal of the week tonight. I made balsamic chicken, roasted brussels sprouts, rice pilaf, and a salad with avocado dressing.

The boys were playing a little game with me as I was cooking. I didn't realize we were playing a game, until I went to make the salad. I thought I was going crazy, I couldn't find the cucumber, tomato, and avocadoes I had sitting on the counter. I looked everywhere, and had no luck. Prince Hock came in the kitchen as I was tearing it apart, and said, "Mommy, what are you doing?" I said, "I can't find the cucumber." He started laughing, and then I realized he was the culprit. He told me I had to find it.

I then went on a scavenger hunt around my house looking for the hidden produce. The cucumber was behind the couch pillows, and the tomato and avocadoes were in my bed. How fun! There is never a dull moment.

The balsamic chicken is quick and simple. To go with the chicken, I made Near East rice pilaf because I love the flavor and it doesn't get easier than that. Click on the word roasted brussels sprouts to see the recipe in a past post. Finally, the avocado salad dressing is a delish invention of mine, I feel as though it makes eating salad a treat.

Here are pics and recipes:



____________________________________________________________________________



Balsamic Chicken

This recipe is from allrecipes.com, it can definitely be halved

6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
ground black pepper to taste
1 t. garlic salt
2 T. olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
1/2 c. balsamic vinegar
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 t. dried basil
1 t. dried oregano
1 t. dried rosemary
1/2 t. dried thyme

To cut the breast in half, I freeze the breast for 30 minutes, or until they are partially frozen, and then they are much easier to cut.

Season chicken breasts with ground black pepper and garlic salt. Heat olive oil in a medium skillet, and brown the onion and seasoned chicken breasts.

Pour tomatoes and balsamic vinegar over chicken, and season with basil, oregano, rosemary and thyme. Simmer until chicken is no longer pink and the juices run clear, about 15-20 minutes.

___________________________________________________________________________



Avocado Salad Dressing

I served this tossed with mixed green, cucumber slices, chopped tomato, and diced avocado. So yum!

1/2 avocado
1 T. vegetable oil
1 T. lemon juice
1 T. water
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. freshly cracked black pepper
1/4 t. sugar
1/4 t. worcestershire sauce
1/4 t. dry mustard powder
1/2 clove garlic, minced

Mash the avocado. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until creamy and smooth.

___________________________________________________________________________

Have a good night!


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment