Friday, August 26, 2011

8-26-2011 Mexicanish Shabbat

I was looking to change up our Shabbat dinner this week. I always have fun working within a theme, it's my cheesy side coming through. I've been wanting to do an Asian shabbat for some time now, but the work would be too time consuming. So, for tonight we are going to have a Mexicanish Shabbat Dinner, with minimal work, got to love that.

We are having:

1. Challah (Shoot! Just realized I should of made jalapeno jallah!)
2. Salad Tostadas
3. Mexican Gefilte Fish, I'm trying a new recipe, I'll let you know...
4. Gazpacho with avocado
5. Mexican Roast
6. Roasted Squash, Zucchini, Onion, and Brocolli
7. Mexican Potato Kugel
8. Mexican Rice
9. Bananas Flambe Cake

I'm making the salad tostadas for a couple of reasons. First, one of my favorite restaurants in the world, Ediths in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, always serves these when you are first seated. Basically, it's a tostada or crisp tortilla with refried beans, shredded cabbbage with lime juice, salsa, sour cream, and cheese (which I have to leave off for kosher reasons).  They are simply amazing.

The other thing I absolutely love to eat at Edith's is the bananas flambeado, I always get my own order, I WILL NOT SHARE! That is why I'm making the bananas flambe cake. At Edith's they give you a whole show as they prepare this treat tableside, I can hardly wait for the next time.

I have been making a lot of roasts lately in place of chicken. The price of whole cut up chickens has become outrageous, and the chuck roast is a hair more expensive. Why not go all out and have meat? I slow cook it at 250 degrees for 4 hours, and slice it thinly like a brisket. The results are outstanding, many people have said it's better than brisket.

Here is the bananas flambe cake recipe:



Bananas Flambe Cake

1/3 C. margarine
1 C. light brown sugar, tightly packed
1/2 t. cinnamon
2 T. light rum
3 large bananas, sliced 1/3 inch thick on the diagonal
1 yellow cake mix
1 stick margarine, melted
1 1/2 C. soy milk
2 eggs
4 t. fresh lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a bundt pan with non stick spray. Place the 1/3 C. margarine in a small pan, and heat over low to melt. Remove from the stove and add the brown sugar, cinnamon, and rum. Use a fork and mix well, and pour into the bottom of the bundt pan. Arrange the banana slices over the sugar mixture.

In a bowl mix together the cake mix, melted margarine stick, soy milk, eggs, and lemon juice. Use a hand mixer and mix on medium for 2 minutes. Pour batter over the bananas.

Place cake in the oven, and bake for 50-60 minutes until center springs back when lightly pressed. Run a knife around the edge of the cake pan, and then carefully invert onto a heatproof serving plate. If the cake does not release, run the knife around the edges again, and let the cake rest on the plate until the cake releases.

_______________________________________________________________________________

Have a bueno shabbat and weekend.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment