Wednesday, September 21, 2011

9-21-2011 Pomegranate Orange Salad

Last night, I gave my first ever cooking demonstration. Going into it I thought I would be super nervous because I'm not a fan of public speaking. I'm happy to report that I wasn't even slightly anxious, and I think it went well.

I first demonstrated a Pomegranate Orange Salad, I'll post that recipe below. I showed everyone the trick to removing pomegranate seeds, and how to cut orange "supremes" or segments. The salad has a delicious honey balsamic dressing, and it is a great salad to serve on Rosh Hashanah. The recipe is below.

Next, I talked about the magical Apple Honey Barbecue Sauce recipe that can be used on chicken or brisket. Everyone got to taste it on some chicken wings, it was yummy.

Finally, I demonstrated how to make a lattice topped apple pie. Then, everyone got to make their own lattice topped apple pie to take home and bake. It was fun to see how everyone's pies turned out.

What a nice evening, I hope all who were there, enjoyed it as much as I did. I told everyone there if they ever have any cooking questions, they can email me at: dishondelish@yahoo.com
I extend that to anyone who reads this blog, you are welcome to email me anytime with cooking or recipe questions, it is my pleasure to answer to them.

Here is the salad recipe:

Pomegranate Orange Salad with Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette

It's customary to eat pomegranates on Rosh Hashanah because supposedly each pomegranate has 613 seeds, and there are 613 mitzvahs in the Torah. Eating them symbolizes that we hope to have a year filled with doing as many mitzvot as a pomegranate is filled with seeds.

1 package mixed greens
1 pomegranate, seeded
1 orange, segmented
honey balsamic vinaigrette, recipe below
 
Place the mixed greens in a large salad bowl. Then drizzle on some of the salad dressing, and toss to coat. Sprinkle on the pomegranate seeds, and orange segments.
 
To easily remove pomegranate seeds, cut the pomegranate in half. Fill a large bowl with cold water. Hold the cut pomegranate half under the water and use your fingers to loosen all of the seeds. The seeds will sink to the bottom, and the membrane will float to the top. Scoop out the membrane, and discard. Drain the water, and voila! You will have gorgeous seeds.
 
honey balsamic vinaigrette:
 
1/2 C. balsamic vinegar
1/4 C. honey
1/4 C. olive oil
1 t. soy sauce
1/2 t. onion powder
1/2 t. garlic powder
pinch of freshly cracked black pepper
pinch of salt or to taste
 
Place all of the above ingredients into a jar with a lid. Shake vigorously until emulsified, you can also use an immersion blender
 
_____________________________________________________________________________
 
I hope you have a nice day!
 
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I made this salad for Rosh Hashana. This was such a huge hit that I didn't even have any - by the time I actually sat down the bowl was practically empty. My husband only got a small bite. My entire family (parents, sister's family) ate the whole thing. Definitely a keeper. I assume it's good :-)

    ReplyDelete