Wednesday, September 28, 2011

9-28-2011 Rosh Hashanah is here!

Yes, I know I had promised to post my cinnamon sugar challah recipe yesterday, but I never got around to it. Yesterday was loco. I was planning on doing some cooking in the morning, but I decided to get a manicure and pedicure and go out to lunch instead. By the time I got home at 2:30, I was exhausted.

I tried to lay down and take a nap, which was a very bad idea because Prince Hocks were running around. I thought they would just relax on the bed with me and watch t.v. while I slept. I first dozed off and woke to them breaking into a honey cake they had made at school, crumbs in my bedroom everywhere!

I dozed off again, and was woken when I heard Prince Hock #2 saying, "the eraser is not working." I mumbled, "what are you talking about?" He said it again, I could tell he was in my bathroom, and I couldn't figure out why an eraser wouldn't be working in my bathroom. I had to get up and check it out.

There he was in my bathroom, drawing a mural on the wall with a dry erase marker. AHHHHH! I then sped around investigating if he had colored the whole house. Phew, he only colored 2 other walls (3 in total)!

After the whole mini Picasso fiasco, we had a 5:30 soccer game. From the soccer game we went out to dinner. We didn't get home until almost 9. After putting the boys to bed, all I had time for was making challah dough.

So, I am truly sorry. I will have to share my cinnamon sugar challah recipe with you another time very soon. To make it up to you, I am going to give you the recipe for the cake I made tonight, Coffee Crunch Cake, it's amazingly awesome.


Coffee Crunch Cake

cake:
1 yellow cake mix, Duncan Hines
1 box Jello pudding, vanilla
4 eggs
1 C. water
1/2 C. oil

icing:
1 carton, non dairy whip topping

coffee crunch:
1 1/2 C. sugar
1/4 C. coffee, use strong freshly brewed
1/4 C. light corn syrup
1 T. baking soda

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a tube (angel food) baking pan with  non stick spray.

Mix together the cake mix, pudding powder, egg, water, and oil. Mix for 30 seconds until moistened. Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into the pan, and bake for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pan for 20 minutes, and then remove to a cooling rack.

To make the coffee crunch:
Generously oil a sheet pan with vegetable oil, and set aside. Sift the baking soda onto a small piece of parchment. In a medium pot, mix together the sugar, coffee, and corn syrup over medium low heat until the sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally.

When the mixture begins to boil, increase the heat to medium high, and put a candy thermometer on the side of the pot. Stir occasionally until the temperature reaches 290. Be sure to stir frequently once the temperature reaches 270.  Remove from the heat and stir in the baking soda, caution the mixture will furiously foam. Pour the mixture onto the baking sheet, do not spread. Set aside at room temperature for 1 hour, do not disturb it. After 1 hour, break into small shards (use a meat mallet it works great). If you want to make this crunch part in advance, store in an air tight container until ready to use.

To assemble the cake (best if done just before serving), whip up the whip topping with an electric mixer until fluffy and whipped. Spread this over the cooled cake. Sprinkle with the coffee crunch shards.  Store in the refrigerator if you are not going serve immediately.

______________________________________________________________________________


I made it! My table is set, the food is almost all prepared, now I need to go tame my hooligans and get them ready for synagogue. Wish me luck convincing them to put on their finest clothes, they only want to wear super hero shirts and gym shorts, this will be interesting.

Wishing you and your family a very Happy New Year! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment