Monday, September 26, 2011

9-26-2011 My Menu

I will admit that I'm a lunatic, I have been agonizing over my menu for Wednesday night (imagine me waking up in the middle of the night for the last two weeks pondering). For Shabbat dinners I like to make a decent menu, but for Rosh Hashanah, it has to be extra special, I want it to be perfect. It must be perfectly rounded, sweet but not overly sweet, elegant, delish, and EASY! I wonder if it's possible.

Drumroll please:

0. Apples and Honey, I'm using Honey Crisp and Golden Delicious
1. Cinnamon Sugar Challah, recipe coming tomorrow
2. Spinach Portobello Mushroom Salad
3. Salmon in Puff Pastry with Cucumber Dill Sauce
4. Potato Leek Soup
5. Apple Honey BBQ Roast
6. Carrot Souffle, recipe below
7. Roasted Asparagus
8. Some other side dish undecided, wild rice with dried cranberries? couscous?
9. Dessert-undecided and stressing, ahhhhhhhh

I'm going to make my challah tomorrow, so check back tomorrow for some different and beautiful ways to make round challot. I'll also show you how to make your challah have a cinnamon swirl on the inside.

To make my life easier, tomorrow aside from the challah, I will also make the soup, BBQ sauce, and dessert.

Here is the recipe for the Carrot Souffle

Carrot Souffle

2 lb. bag baby carrots
1/2 C. melted margarine
1/2 C. white sugar (can use up to 1 C. of sugar if you like it very sweet)
3 T. all-purpose flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. vanilla extract
3 eggs, beaten

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add carrots and cook until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and use an immersion blender to puree, you can leave some texture if you that's how you like it. Can also mash by hand, but won't be as smooth.

To the carrots add melted margarine, white sugar, flour, baking powder, vanilla extract and eggs. Mix well and transfer to a 2 quart casserole dish. Bake for 45-60 minutes until set and slightly carmelized on top.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Talk to you tomorrow. Have a good night! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment