Sunday, September 4, 2011

9-4-2011 Puffed Oven Pancake

King Hock and I have had a long standing tradition of having brunch on Sundays that dates back to our early dating days. As he dropped me off from our second date, he asked me on a third date to go out to brunch. I remember being really excited because I had never been on a brunch date before. From then on, we would go to brunch every Sunday.

Nowadays, we don't always venture out to restaurants, sometimes we make brunch at home. I am forever thinking of new things to make, I try to keep it interesting.

This morning we lazed around the house, and had brunch here. I made a puffed oven pancake. It was incredibly fast and easy, and everyone loved it. Not a single bite was leftover.

You will need a 10 inch cast iron skillet to make this. If you don't own one, I highly suggest getting one. You can cook anything in it, but they are especially good for cornbread, eggs, fajitas, french toast, grilled cheese, and browning or searing meat.

Here is the recipe:



Puffed Oven Pancake

Serves 2-4

This recipe cooks in the oven for 18 minutes. I use that time to cook eggs, cut fruit, or to prepare whatever else I am going to be serving with the pancake. You can top it with anything you want, I suggest powdered sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon sugar, fresh fruit, or chocolate chips.

1/2 C. all purpose flour, spoon the flour into the measuring cut and level with a knife
1/2 C. milk, or soy milk
2 T. sugar
1/4 t. salt
1 egg
1 egg white

1 T. butter or margarine

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

In a medium bowl mix together the flour, milk, sugar, salt, egg, and egg white. Mix until moist.

Place a 10 inch cast iron skillet on the stove. Melt the butter or margarine over medium heat. Pour in the batter and let stand for 1 minute, no stirring. Remove the pan from the heat and place into the preheated oven. Bake for 18 minutes until golden brown.

Remove from the oven, and cut sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cut into wedges.


_____________________________________________________________________________

Enjoy your holiday weekend.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment