Wednesday, June 1, 2011

6-1-2011 Asian Salmon

Is it really June? My how time flies. I'm not sure if I am ready for 100 degree weather, but I will tell you I am ready for all of the popsicles and (Talenti) ice cream that go along with it.

The highlight of my day was when Hubby brought home the all new Talenti Gelato Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup flavor for us to try.  Basically it is a chocolate ice cream with mini chocolate peanut butter cups and a peanut butter swirl. It was heaven in my mouth. It's salty and sweet, the most addictive combination ever. It may be hard to find in stores right now since it is so new, but keep your eye out.

This afternoon we were hanging at my sister Ashley's house. The boys, (there is 4 all together) were living it up in the heat doing the slip in slide. I was dragging my feet to go home and cook dinner, I had no idea what I was going to make. As I watched her throw her dinner together, I decided to make the exact same thing. Thanks Ash for the dinner inspiration!

We had Asian Grilled Salmon, Spinach salad with ginger dressing, and Rice. The whole dinner took 15 minutes to prepare, and took 30 minutes from start to finish, very little effort with flawless results.





Asian Grilled Salmon

This recipe is by the one and only Ina Garten and it received on average 5 stars out of 5, by 486 reviews. Cannot go wrong.

1 side fresh salmon, boned but skin on (about 3 pounds)

2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons good soy sauce
6 tablespoons good olive oil
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic

Light charcoal briquettes in a grill and brush the grilling rack with oil to keep the salmon from sticking.


While the grill is heating, lay the salmon skin side down on a cutting board and cut it crosswise into 4 equal pieces.

Whisk together the mustard, soy sauce, olive oil, and garlic in a small bowl. Drizzle half of the marinade onto the salmon and allow it to sit for 10 minutes.


Place the salmon skin side down on the hot grill; discard the marinade the fish was sitting in. Grill for 4 to 5 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish. Turn carefully with a wide spatula and grill for another 4 to 5 minutes.

 The salmon will be slightly raw in the center, but don't worry; it will keep cooking as it sits.


Transfer the fish to a flat plate, skin side down, and spoon the reserved marinade on top. Allow the fish to rest for 10 minutes. Remove the skin and serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled.

_____________________________________________________________________

Ginger Salad Dressing

I know I have given you this recipe before, it's one of my favorites. King Hock doesn't really love ginger, that never stops me from making anything with it. He usually scrapes the dressing off, what's his problem? Serve with any type of lettuce. Tonight I served it over baby spinach, shredded carrots, cucumber, and grape tomatoes.

1/2 cup minced onion
1/2 cup peanut oil
1/3 cup rice vinegar
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
2 tablespoons minced celery
2 tablespoons ketchup
4 teaspoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

Place all of the above ingredients in a blender, or use an immersion blender with a big bowl. Blend for 1 minute until pureed and emulsified.

______________________________________________________________________

I told you the best part of my day. Here are some not so good parts of my day today:

-Watching my 3.5 year old son scream and throw a monster temper tantrum, while flailing like a fish on the ground of his preschool, so cute.

- Realizing my Chi is broken. When I told King Hock he was like, "what's a Chi?!" My flat iron to straighten my hair, duh!

-Watching my 2 year old bump his head for like the 100th time in his life, he got a huge bump, ughhhh. I'm waiting for the day when he will stop bumping his head.

-When I finished making the sauce for the salmon, my 2 year old decided to "help" me, I turned my back for one second, and when I turned around he had dumped 1 cup of salt into it. I had to then remake it, which hurt his feelings.

All in all it was a good day.

Have a good night. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment