Thursday, June 2, 2011

6-2-2011 Hamburgers with mushrooms

First of all, I must apologize. I went to make perfect pancakes for breakfast this morning and realized the amount of baking powder I put was wrong. The recipe is now corrected. Sorry if you made them, and they weren't perfect.

Now onto tonight's dinner.

I have had a love hate relationship with hamburgers my whole life. When I was in second grade, I had a wicked case of food poisining after eating a burger. After that, I swore them off forever. That lasted for a few years. At some points in my life, if you asked me what my favorite food was, the answer would be hamburgers. Other times, the thought of eating a burger seems repulsive.

This very moment I am loving them in any shape, form, or fashion. That's what led me to make hamburgers with carmelized onions and mushrooms tonight.

We also had corn on the cob, and crunchy slaw. Ughhh, I am stuffed.



Crunchy Slaw

1 package angel hair cabbage
1/4 C. chopped peanuts
1/4 C. slivered almonds, toasted
2 T. sesame seeds toasted
1/4 C. vegetable oil
1/4 C. rice wine vinegar
2 T. soy sauce
2 T. sugar
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. onion powder
pinch of salt and pepper

Place the cabbage in a salad bowl.

In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Pour over the cabbage and toss until thoroughly mixed. Sprinkle over the peanuts, almonds, and sesame seeds, toss again until completely mixed together.

_________________________________________________________________________



Carmelized Onions and Mushrooms

1/4 large onion, chopped
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
2 T. olive oil
1/4 t. Lawry's salt
1 t. parve worcestershire sauce
1 T. Tamari, or dark soy sauce
1 1/2 t. brown sugar
freshly ground black pepper, to taste

In a medium skillet heat the oil over medium high. Add the onions and turn heat down to medium. Cook for 5-10 minutes until they start to carmelize, stirring occasionally, and making sure they are not burning, if they start to brown too quickly lower the heat.

Add the mushrooms. Occasionally stirring, until they start to release their liquid. Add the Lawry's salt, worcestershire sauce, tamari or soy sauce, brown sugar, and freshly ground black pepper. Continue to cook over low heat until the mushrooms are cooked through.

Serve with hamburgers, also good with steaks, or over grilled chicken.



I guess it's hard to see the mushrooms in the above picture. They are in there, and I assure you it was delish! If you have any great hamburger recipes, please send them my way, dishondelish@yahoo.com
Thanks!

Good night. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment