Sunday, June 19, 2011

6-19-2011 A Thin Slice of Father's Day

First of all, Happy Father's Day to all the Dad's out there.

I want to wish my own Dad a huge Happy Father's day, I love you. I will never forget how you:

1. Took me on Indian Princess camp outs, and managed to do my hair
2. Told me I was your favorite child because I was the most athletic out of all 4 of your kids
3. Bought me a brand new car after I wrecked my first brand new car 7 times
4.  Would come eat at the restaurant I worked at in high school every single time I worked, and leave me the biggest tips
5. Taught me a lot about cooking when I was a child when you would add wine and or apple juice to everything (yum!)
6. Employed me at your business for over a year, and would allow me to take a mid day nap on your sofa

And, Happy Dad's day to my husband, our children are so blessed to have you as their father. I will never forget:

1. When you cried after both our boys were born
2. How you are always willing to get up in the middle of the night with the kids
3. The endless affection you give our kids whether it be "pile ups", "steam rollers", "cradles", "pile drivers", or just plain hugs and kisses
4. When you wake up early with the boys on Saturday mornings, and feed them cakes and cookies for breakfast
5. That you allow Prince Hock to sleep in our bed ontop of your head many of mornings, and once slept in a twin size bed with him

In honor of Father's Day we had a brilliant barbeque and swim party with my family at my parent's house. My mom and dad made burgers, coleslaw, and grilled vegetables. Of course I brought a couple of dishes: Sesame Cucumber Salad, and Baked Potato Chips

As I was slicing the cucumbers and potatoes precisely thin, the name of this blog post popped in my head. Here are the recipes:



Sesame Cucumber Salad

I made the cucumber slices look really pretty with scalloped edges. It is easy to do this, after you peel the cucumber, use the tines of a fork and scrape vertically up and down all the way around the cucumber, then thinly slice.

3 cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 C. white vinegar
1/2 C. water
1/3 C. white sugar
1 T. toasted sesame oil
2 T. Tamari soy sauce
1 small onion, very thinly sliced
3 green onions, thinly sliced
fresh cracked black pepper to taste
1 T. toasted sesame seeds

In a large bowl whisk together the vingear, water, sugar, sesame oil, and soy sauce. Add the onions, and cucumber slices. Sprinkle on the sesame seeds,fresh cracked black pepper, and green onion. Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving to let the flavors meld.

__________________________________________________________________________



Baked Potato Chips
 
I've posted this recipe before, it's one of our favorites. The potatoes are chewy, crunchy, and tasty. On the way over to my paren't house tonight, my kids kept eating these until I had to stop them because there wouldn't be enough for the dinner.
 
To cut the potatoes very thin, you will need a sharp paring knife ( click on the word paring knife to see my favorite ones). Even better would be to use a mandoline, which could be dangerous for inexperienced users.
 
4 baking potatoes
1-2 T. olive oil
Seasoned Salt
 
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
Cut the potatoes in very thin slices. Place the slices in a large bowl and drizzle on the olive, toss until completely coated. Lay in a single flat layer on the baking sheets. Sprinkle with seasoning salt.
Place in the oven and cook until nicely browned and crisp, about 40 minutes. Watch to make sure they don't burn.

____________________________________________________________________________

The best part of our celebration was our dessert. We all gathered around the outdoor fireplace and made S'mores, they were heavenly.

Hope you had a great day! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment