Friday, June 10, 2011

6-10-2011 Shabbat Dinner

Today has been a sad day, as I went to a funeral for someone who although wasn't a close friend of mine, he was someone who was very intertwined in my life.

The funeral was somber, but every person in attendance walked away feeling inspired. It made us all remember to focus on the good things in our lives, to always have a positive attitude, and never give up.

While I was cooking my shabbat dinner for tonight I was still feeling mournful, and I was reflecting deeply on all that was said at the funeral. My body was like a robot performing in the kitchen while my mind was lost in thoughts. Hopefully this dinner will be good. At times like these I always envision the movie Like Water for Chocolate, and wonder how my dinner guests will react. (If you have not seen this movie, you must!)

Our menu for tonight:

1. Bread Machine Challah
2. Salmon Loaf En Croute with Cucumber Dill Sauce, recipe below
3. Caesar Salad
4. Cabbage Salad
5. Cream of Corn Soup
6. Herbs de Provence Roasted Whole Chicken
7. Twice Baked Potatoes
8. Marinated Vegetable Skewers
9. Dough Balls, from the blog Peas and Thank You
10. Brownies, from the blog Weekly Bite
11. Mixed Berries

Here's one of the recipes I made, and have made several times in the past, always turns out delish, and is very easy:





Salmon Loaf En Croute with Cucumber Dill Sauce

This recipe comes from the Kosher Palette.

1 (16 oz.) can red or pink salmon, boned, drained, and skinned
3/4 C. dry bread crumbs (plain or seasoned)
3/4 C. mayo
1/2 C. chopped onion
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1/2 package frozen puff pastry, thawed 1 sheet
1 egg, lightly beaten for glaze

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine the salmon, bread crumbs, mayo, onion, salt, and pepper in a large bowl, mix well.

Place the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface, and unfold. Spoon the salmon mixture in the center. Fold the edges up over the salmon, overlapping the left and right side, creating a long roll (see picture). Seal the edges.

Place the loaf seam side down on an ungreased 13x9  baking sheet. Brush the top with egg.

Bake for 45 minutes until golden brown. Slice into 6-8 slices, and serve with cucumber dill sauce on the side.



Cucumber Dill Sauce

1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
3/4 C. mayo
3 T. chopped onion
1 T. chopped fresh dill
1/2 C. water
pinch of salt

Combine the cucumber, mayo, onion, and dill. Gradually add water to desired consistency, cover and chill.

______________________________________________________________________________

Have a good Shabbat! Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I made this for Shabbat dinner and it's great - super easy and so fancy looking. I'm eating it for lunch right now. Thanks for this keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's been a while since you've posted, but I truly love your posts and recipes. I've done many of your recipes and have been inspired by your menu planning. Just wanted to say thank you and looking forward to more posts soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Miriam, thank you, I love hearing that you use my recipes! I hope that one day I will get back to posting recipes!

    ReplyDelete