Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Carrot Ginger Brown Rice- Amazing!

King Hock is back at boot camp. He was sidelined for the last several months because of his knee surgeries.

I don't know how he survives doing bootcamp, he works out like a maniac to the point of becoming almost ill. Maybe in my next life I will enjoy working out, haha.

With all of this exercise comes a bigger appetite. I went to the store yesterday to get him some healthy high protein snacks: Greek Yogurt, Protein Granola, Low Fat Cheese, Almonds, and Protein Bars (I'm addicted to the Nature Valley Peanut Butter Chocolate ones).

I'm also trying to make our dinners healthier. Last night, I made the most delicious rice, and I used brown rice instead of white. Here's the recipe.


Carrot Ginger Brown Rice

This would go well with grilled teriyaki chicken or salmon and steamed broccoli, or baked kale.

It has a Thai or Vietnamese flavor with the ginger, chopped peanuts, and cilantro.
1 C. brown rice, cooked according to package directions to make 2-3 C. cooked rice
1/4 C. roasted peanuts, I used cocktail peanuts
3/4 C. grated carrots
1 t. fresh ginger, minced
1 onion sliced
1 T. margarine
salt to taste
dash cayenne pepper, optional if you like it spicy, to taste
chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish

Cook the rice according to the package directions, you could use white rice if you want.

Grind the peanuts with a food processor or blender. What I did was use a Cuisinart and ground the peanuts, and removed them to a bowl, then I added the shredder attachment, and shredded the carrots and ginger.

Melt the margarine in a large skillet. Add the onion and cook on medium low until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the grated carrots and minced ginger, stir until combined, and cover the skillet with a lid and steam for 5 minutes. Stir in the ground peanuts, and cayenne pepper if you are using. Add the cooked rice to this mixture and stir together. Add salt to taste, I used about 1/2 t.

Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.

_____________________________________________________________________

Talk to you tomorrow!


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment