Monday, June 18, 2012

Mud Hen Bars

Everyone has their crazies. I'm not ashamed to admit mine.

First, anyone who knows me, knows what a germ phob I am. I Purell and wash my hands a hundred times a day. I would never eat or drink after anyone, including my own children. Plus, having a newborn kicks my germ phobia into high gear.

Bees make me crazy as well. I carry an Epi-pen, although I am not 100% sure I would have an anaphylactic reaction if stung. Whenever I remind King Hock that I have an Epi-pen, and he might have to give it to me if I were to get stung, he always jokingly says, "I'm supposed stick it in your heart, right?" My husband is awesome.

Another crazy I have, is that I can be obsessive compulsive at times. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, especially when has to do with cooking. Yesterday, on Pinterest I saw this recipe called Mud Hen Bars, and I couldn't stop obsessing over making them. Today, I compulsed and made them, and O. M. G., you must make them, they are so ooey gooey.


Mud Hen Bars

If you like the taste of toasted marshmallows, this recipe is for you! I adapted this recipe to my liking, the original one is from Sunday Baker Blog.

1 stick margarine
1 C. white sugar
3 eggs
1 t. vanilla
1 1/2 C. flour
1/2 t. salt
1 t. baking powder
1/2 C. chocolate chips
1 C. marshmallows
1 C. brown sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 baking pan or pyrex with non stick spray.

In a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the margarine and white sugar together until fluffy. Add 1 whole egg, and 2 egg yolks (reserve the whites for later). Add the vanilla. Mix until combined. Add the flour, salt, and baking powder, use a fork and slightly mix together these dry ingredients on top of the margarine mixture (alternatively do this in a seperate bowl before adding, I just hate using so many bowls). Mix together the flour mixture and the margarine mixture and until thoroughly combined.

Spread into the bottom of the prepared baking pan, it may help to slightly wet your hands to press down evenly. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips, and the marshmallows.


In a clean bowl, use an electric mixer and whip the 2 whites until stiff peaks form. Fold in the brown sugar. And spread this over the chocolate chips and marshmallows.

 

Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the crust is cooked through, and the tops are a deep golden brown.
(you can check that they are completely cooked by cutting into the center with a knife, it shouldn't look raw.) Cool in the pan for at least an hour, and then cut into squares to serve. Note- if the top gets too dark, you can  move it to the lowest shelf in the oven, or cover with foil.

Tip: Do not let the Marshmallow Monster eat all of the marshmallows!



________________________________________________________________________

I'm off to find my next recipe to obsess and be crazy over.

Have a good night!






Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment