Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Lemon Garlic Chicken

I wasn't supposed to cook dinner tonight because my parents had invited us over to swim and eat. I was looking forward to enjoying a home cooked meal that I didn't make.

So, I was inside tending to baby Hock, while my mom (Cece) swam with the boys. The men weren't home from work yet.

Next thing I know,  sopping Cece busts inside, with two dripping boys in tow. She says, "either you have to cook the dinner or they have to get out "(so she could cook). To which they both pleaded to swim more.

I say "ok, alright what am I supposed to make?" Then, Cece hastily leads me into her kitchen and shows me the ropes. Pop some chicken nuggets and fries into the oven for the boys, easy. She had already prepared a spinach artichoke casserole, which I had to bake, check. All I really needed to cook was some kind of chicken and prepare a salad. I asked her what kind of chicken she had in mind, and she told me that she had planned to make some sort of lemon chicken. That's when I came up with this yummy recipe for Lemon Garlic Chicken.

Nice plan to not cook dinner CECE, it worked. I'm not too upset though because I created a new delish chicken recipe, and it's no secret I love to cook anytime anywhere.



Lemon Garlic Chicken

Oh gosh, I can't wait to make this again! Would be good over pasta, or served with pasta with marinara sauce on it, add a salad and you got yourself a great meal.

4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
1/2 C. Flour (I actually used oat flour because Cece eats gluten free)
1/2 t. Salt
1/4 t. Pepper
1/2 t. Garlic powder
1/2 t. Onion powder
2 T. Olive oil
2 T. Margarine
1 T. Fresh minced Garlic (about 3 cloves)
1/4 C. Lemon juice, fresh squeezed
1 C. Chicken or vegetable broth
2 T. Capers with 1 t. Juice
1/4 C. Cold water
1 T. Cornstarch

Pound the chicken with a meat mallet between two sheets of plastic wrap, you want it thin and even.

Mix together the flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder on a large plate. Dredge the chicken in the flour, shake off the excess.

Heat a very large skillet on medium heat with the olive oil. Add the
chicken and cook until golden brown on each side and cooked through about 5-7 minutes per side. Remove to a plate.

Add the margarine to the skillet, and melt. Add the minced garlic, and cook over medium heat, lower heat if the garlic starts to brown, you just want to sweat it. Use a spatula to stir the garlic while it sweats, and scrape up the brown bits left from the chicken. Next, stir in the lemon juice, chicken broth, and capers. Bring this sauce to a boil.

In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the cold water. Add to the boiling sauce and stir constantly until the sauce has thickened and is smooth. Place the chicken back into the skillet and cover in the sauce. Simmer until the center of the chicken is no longer pink.

___________________________________________________________________________

Have a good night.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment