Monday, June 4, 2012

Delish Tomato Soup

Watch out, I think I'm going to start a new blog and name it "Ugly Clothes My Kids Wear".  Lately, my boys' choices in fashion have fallen off the deep end.

I used to be able to finagle them into wearing collared shirts with khaki shorts, those days are long gone. I can't complain too much because they get themselves dressed, but every morning they appear in their mesh gym shorts and graphic tees (the uglier, the better).

JR is into layers, the other day he came downstairs in no joke 6 shirts and 7 pairs of underwear. We made a compromise and he was allowed to wear 2 shirts and 2 pairs of underwear. Seven pairs of underwear must of been pretty uncomfortable.

JR also loves the sweat band he is currently wearing on his wrist. Whoever put those in their kid's party favors are on my black list now.

I guess I'm over it, it's partly my fault because I am the one that buys them all of the hideous clothes they desire. I want to extend a special thank you to my brother Blake, he took them to Wal Mart to pick out some birthday gifts and they returned with super hero t-shirts, and now those are their favorite ones.

What does this rant have to do with tomato soup? Nothing...I just had to get that off my chest to prevent myself from really starting another blog.


Tomato Soup

Grilled cheese is the perfect accompaniment. Recipe is from Cook's Illustrated.

2 28-oz. cans whole tomatoes, packed in juice
1 1/2 T. dark brown sugar
4 T. butter or margarine
2/3 C. minced shallots
1 T. tomato paste
pinch ground allspice
2 T. unbleached all-purpose flour
1 3/4 C. veggie or chicken broth
1/2 C. heavy cream, or non dairy creamer, or plain unsweetened soy milk
2 T. sherry

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Open the cans of whole tomatoes and drain them in a colander, catching the juice in a large bowl — set the bowl with the juice aside. Using your hands, squeeze the tomatoes gently to remove any excess juice and seeds (which you should discard) and place the seeded tomatoes in another bowl. Reserve 3 cups of the tomato juice you caught when draining the tomatoes and set aside.

Place the seeded tomatoes in a single layer on the baking sheet and sprinkle them evenly with the brown sugar. Roast for 15-30 minutes, until they’re starting to color.

Meanwhile, heat the butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan until it starts to foam, then add the shallot, tomato paste, and allspice. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallot softens, about 7 minutes. Add the flour and stir until it’s blended in, then gradually whisk in the veggie or chicken stock.

Next, add the reserved 3 cups tomato juice and the roasted tomatoes. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let this mixture simmer about 10 minutes. Use an immersion blender and blend until smooth. Stir in the cream and sherry. Taste and add salt and pepper to your liking.

__________________________________________________________________________

Have a good night!



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment