Sunday, April 3, 2011

4-3-2011 A Hock Style Brunch

My in-laws, who live in Arizona, are here visiting right now. We made plans to have brunch together, and the options were either take our squirmy kiddos to a restaurant, or make brunch at home, where the kids can run wild. They left the decision up to me because the work would fall on my shoulders.

I decided to make brunch, and for me, that means going all out Hock style. My decision was solidified when last night, my good friend informed me that Benny's Bagels has now been kosher for 2 weeks.

I woke up this morning and was super excited to check out the newly kosher establishment. Here is a pic I took with my phone (I thought it would be weird to whip out a camera):

The bagels were great! Perfectly chewy, dense, and just plain delicious. I especially loved the cranberry flavor ones.

My brunch included these bagels with all of the fixings: lox, capers, cream cheese, cucumbers, and tomatoes. I also made eggs, a fruit plate, and puffy blueberry pancakes- see recipe below.

The brunch was a success, everything was delish. We all stuffed our faces. The best part was the kids rambunctiously rode their tricycles in circles, and I was able to engage in actual adult conversation.

And now a feast for your eyes:


And finally, the Puffy Blueberry Pancakes:

Puffy Blueberry Pancakes:
I found this recipe on allrecipes.com. These pancakes turn out puffier than normal ones, and are not too sweet. I served them with maple syrup, but they would also be good with Smucker's blueberry or strawberry syrup.


  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour




  • 1/2 teaspoon salt




  • 1 tablespoon baking powder




  • 1 1/4 teaspoons white sugar




  • 1 egg




  • 1 cup milk




  • 1/2 tablespoon butter, melted




  • 1/2 cup fresh blueberries, could use frozen that have been thawed




    1. In a large bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. In a small bowl, beat together egg and milk. Stir milk and egg into flour mixture. Mix in the butter and fold in the blueberries. Set aside for 1 hour.
    2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.
    Now I am going to decide what to cook this week and make my grocery list. Don't forget to check back to see what I am up to. Pin It

    No comments:

    Post a Comment