Thursday, April 21, 2011

4-21-2011 Matzah Pizza Margherita

What is it about Passover? I feel as though I am constantly starving. Does eating bread really make that much of a difference?

I was so hungry today, I actually ate matzah pizza on 2 separate occasions. First, it was my snack immediately following lunch, an example of my ravenous state.

Then, for dinner tonight, I made pizza margherita, and served it with a mixed green salad with fresh herb balsamic vinaigrette. I just finished that dinner and then had a smorgasbord of Passover desserts. I am still hungry, help!

The dessert binge included chocolate covered raisins, chocolate toffee matzah, brownies (made from a Manishewitz mix), cupcakes (made from a Streit mix), and some very berry Passover muffins.

I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the results from the mixes I made. The cupcakes were moist, and hard to tell they were for Pesach. The brownies had a little bit of that matzah flavor, but were good enough.

Here are some pics and recipes:



Matzah Pizza Margherita

Matzah
Pizza or Marinara Sauce
Shredded Mozzarella
Tomato, thinly sliced
Fresh Basil, Chopped

Preheat the broiler.

Place the matzah on a sheet pan or pizza pan covered with foil or parchment paper. Spread on 1-2 T. pizza sauce per matzah. Spread sauce to cover the entire matzah. Sprinkle evenly with 1/4- 1/2 C. shredded cheese. Lay the slices of tomatoes on top of the cheese.

Place in the oven. Watch pizza, will be ready when the cheese is bubbling and nicely browned. Do not under cook, you want it more on the well done side.

Remove from oven, and sprinkle with basil.



Mixed Green Salad with Fresh Herb Balsamic Vinaigrette

This salad would make a nice dinner with poached eggs on top. If it wasn't Passover, you could serve it with crusty bread for a complete meal.  Feel free to put any salad topping you like in this salad.

1 package mixed greens
1 tomato, cut into wedges
1 avocado, diced

1 recipe Fresh Herb Balsamic Vinaigrette

Place all of the above ingredients into a salad bowl, and toss to coat.



Fresh Herb Balsamic Vinaigrette

1 t. sugar
1/2 t. fresh garlic, minced
1/4 t. onion powder
1/8 t. pepper
1/4 t. salt
1/2 t. fresh basil, finely chopped
1/2 t. fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
1/2 t. fresh oregano, finely chopped
1 T. balsamic vinegar
2 T. olive oil

Place all of the above ingredients into a jar with a lid, shake to emulsify. I didn't have a jar, I made it in a bowl, and used a fork to whisk it to emulsification.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am excited to cook Shabbat dinner tomorrow night. My brother in law with a gigantic appetite is coming. He always enthusiastically relishes my food.  I can't wait to stuff him up! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment