Tuesday, April 12, 2011

4-12-2011 Fast Asian Dinner

King Hock (my hubby) was going to be absent from our dinner tonight. So, at 5 p.m., I had a big decision, make a quick dinner, or drag 2 wild boys to a restaurant by myself.

I chose to make a quick dinner. I could always make them chicken nuggets and french fries, and then what am I supposed to eat?

I hadn't originally planned on cooking tonight, but I quickly got my creative juices flowing.

I always keep my pantry and fridge well stocked with just about anything and everything for times just like these.

I decided to make an Asian Orange Chicken, Sesame Spinach Sushi, and Rice.

First of all, I loved it. Anytime chicken is prepared in a sweet sauce, I love it.
My older son couldn't get enough, he had 2 servings of chicken and rice. Although my younger son, who usually has an heartier appetite, had too many snacks before dinner, and didn't eat a single bite. Drives me crazy when they don't eat.

When King Hock reads this post, he is going to be upset he missed this dinner. He always adores it when I make Asian food.

Here are pics and recipes:




Orange Chicken

2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes or small pieces
2 T. olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 large orange, zest and juice
1/4 t. fresh grated ginger, or ginger powder, or crystallized ginger
3/4 t. red pepper flakes (I left this out because I served it to my kids)
1/3 c. brown sugar
2 T. ketchup
1 T. apple cider vinegar
1/2 c. water
1/3 c. soy sauce
1 T. cornstarch, dissolved in 2 T. ice cold water
1 orange, peeled, and cut into segments  (supremes) for garnish

In a large skillet, place the olive oil, and turn the heat onto medium high. Add the chicken, and stir fry until all sides are browned.

Remove the chicken to a plate.

In the same skillet add the orange juice, orange zest, garlic, ginger, red pepper, brown sugar, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, water, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Stir in the cornstarch water mixture.

Add the chicken, cover the skillet. Lower heat so the chicken is simmering. Simmer for 20 minutes. Serve garnished with fresh orange segments, as shown in the picture above.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Sesame Spinach Sushi

I know it's another Susie Fishbein recipe. I just love her cookbooks, I can't help myself. This is really tasty. Be sure to squeeze out all of the water for the best results.

4 (9 oz.) Bags fresh spinach leaves
1/2 c. sesame seeds
2 T. soy sauce
2 T. toasted sesame oil
2 T. sugar (I would use less, I found it to be a little sweet for my taste, maybe 1 1/2 T.)

Pour 1/2 inch water into a large pot. Add the spinach. Turn heat onto medium, and cover the pot.

Cook for 2-3 minutes until the spinach is wilted. Drain into a sink, and press out as much water as possible.
Return spinach to the pot.

In a small frying pan, spread the sesame seeds in a single layer and heat them over medium heat for 30-60 seconds until they turn golden brown or start to pop. Remove from heat.

In a small bowl mix together the soy sauce, sesame oil, and sugar, until the sugar has dissolved. Add this to the spinach in the pot, and mix.

Divide the spinach into thirds and place each onto a piece of parchment paper. Roll it, using the paper to help form a skinny log. Open the paper and cut each log into slices, 1 inch thick.

Dip one end of into the toasted sesame seeds. Place on a platter to serve. Can be served with soy sauce to dip. Might also be yummy, to dip into a wasabi mayo.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know I promised Passover desserts, they are coming tomorrow. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment