Sunday, April 17, 2011

4-17-2011 What a Day

What a day, oh my gosh. I can't tell you how happy I am right now to be sitting in bed in my pajamas. 

My day started at the crack of dawn at 6 a.m. I woke up early to make the pumpkin muffins for my son's second birthday party. I didn't make them ahead of time because I would never want to serve anything that was not as fresh as possible.  They turned out really cute:



I then went to the birthday party to set up. The party was a blast, most importantly the birthday boy had the best time. The muffins were great.

Next, I came home and baked my sister a birthday cake. She and my son share the same birthday, isn't that cool?



I made her an awesome chocolate cake from scratch, look below for the recipe. I know the other day I was  blabbing about how good cake mixes are, but this cake is truly an exception. Sorry for giving you this recipe right before passover. 

After I made the cake, it was time to get down to business. I made my kitchen ready for passover, a huge undertaking. This part of my day was a brutal 5 hours. I am happy to say I'm finished. Now, I can focus on the meals I'll be preparing over the next few days.

The Ultimate Chocolate Cake

This cake comes from my favorite cookbook, The Kosher Palette. I have made it a zillion times, always turns out moist, and yummy.

2 cups sugar
1 ¾ cups flour
¾ cup cocoa
1 ½ tsp. baking soda
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 cup non-dairy creamer or soy milk (I used soy milk, could use almond or rice milk)
½ cup vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
1 cup boiling water

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Add all of the ingredients together, except the boiling water, mix thoroughly. Fold in the boiling water. The batter will be very loose. Pour batter into a well greased cake pan. You can bake the cake in either a bundt pan or a 9”x13” pan, or 2 round pans. Make sure to coat the pan in a lot of baking spray, so the cake will not stick.

Bake the bundt cake for 25-45 minutes depending on the pan, 45 mins. for bundt pan. Cake is ready when the center springs back when touched, and the cake starts to pull away from the sides, and/ or a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. If you baked it in a bundt pan, make sure to let it cool completely before removing it.

Is great alone dusted with powder sugar. Of course, it is good with any icing. I used the Duncan Hines whipped, for convenience.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now for some Passover inspirations:

I am so excited to announce that King Hock went to Home Depot today and bought us a brand spanking new grill. Now we will be able to make grilled food during the holiday. Yay!

We will definitely make hamburgers and hot dogs at some point. I'm really wanting to try to replicate the kosher for passover hamburger bun like the one I had in New York City, last Passover.

I have an idea to make an Argentinean Dinner, using our new grill. I would make grilled meat, chimichurri sauce, wedge salad with hearts of palm and salsa golf dressing, and some type of Argentinean side dish. I'll update you during the week with these recipes.

I also am looking forward to our annual Matzah Pizza Night. I like to get fancy with it and make Margherita Pizza with thinly sliced tomatoes, garlic, and basil. I also want to make some pizzas with assorted vegetables. I might try to make a white pizza, depending if I can find some certain kosher for passover items. In my opinion, matzah makes an excellent thin crust pizza.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to try and get some rest now. I have a looooonnnnnngggg day ahead of me tomorrow, going to relish my relaxation time right now. Goodnight! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment