Wednesday, April 6, 2011

4-6-2011 Baking with the Boys

This afternoon my three year old was inquiring what our plans were. I asked him what he wanted to do, and he replied, "make something from my cookbook."

Once when I was looking through my cookbooks, my son wanted to join me. I let him look at the only children's cookbook I had, Kosher by Design Kids in the Kitchen, and ever since then, he calls it his.

Today, I told him we could make anything he wanted from this cookbook, as long as we had the ingredients. He was having a hard time deciding between several of the dessert recipes, so I stepped in and made the executive decision, we were going to make peanut butter cookies.

We made them 3 different ways:
1. plain
2. with a pretzel on top
3. with a pretzel and marshmallow hidden inside

I got the idea to do a combination of peanut butter and pretzel directly from my snack obsession, peanut butter pretzel mojo Cliff bars. I am seriously addicted to these bars, I eat at least 1 a day.

The idea to hide a pretzel and marshmallow inside came from another blog, keepitsweetblog.com
The writer of this blog sandwiched a Peep marshmallow and pretzel inside chocolate chip cookie dough. Since Peeps are not kosher, I used kosher marshmallows.

Every which way was fabulous. The salty sweet combination is the best!

Here's the recipe:

Peanut Butter Cookies

1 stick, margarine or butter, softened
1/2 C. sugar
1/2 C. brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 C. creamy peanut butter
1 t. vanilla extract
1 1/4 C. all purpose flour
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt


1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. With an electric mixer, cream the margarine or butter with the sugars.
3. Add the egg and vanilla extract. Mix until combined
4. Add the peanut butter, mix until combined.
5. Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix until thoroughly combined.
6. Cover a sheet pan with parchment paper. Make tablespoon sized balls of dough and place on baking sheet 1 inch apart.
7. Bake for 10-12 minutes

For the kind with a pretzel, press a pretzel into the top. Bake 12 minutes, keep an eye, cookies are ready when the edges are browned.

For the kind with a pretzel and marshmallow hidden inside, flatten the ball of dough, place the pretzel ontop, then a 1/4 of a large marshmallow on top of the pretzel. Make another tablespoon sized ball of dough, and place it over the marshmallow, and flatten to cover the pretzel and marshmallow completely, fusing the top cookie dough with the bottom.
Bake 15-20 minutes, watch them. These will be ready when the edges are browned.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My boys and I devoured these cookies. Later, I gave some to my neighbor, and he told me I should be nominated for best neighbor, the biggest compliment. Pin It

1 comment: