Friday, April 22, 2011

4-22-2011 Shabbat for A-rock

My hubby has lots of nick names for his brother such as A-rock, and A-rizzle to name a couple. We are so excited to have A-rock come for Shabbat dinner tonight. He is always complimentary of my cooking, which  makes me want to cook for him even more.

Since it is still Passover, I had some menu planning parameters. Here is what I'm making:

Spinach Hearts of Palm Salad
Cucumber Salad
Avocado Dip
Tomato Baked Gefilte Fish
Chicken Marbella
Meatloaf
Steamed Brocolli
Baked Kale
Roasted Potatoes
Brownies
Cupcakes
Chocolate Matzah Toffee, Chocolate Covered Raisins, and Cookies
Watermelon

Although it seems like a lot of work, it actually is not. Not baking challah takes a huge chunk out of my normal workload.  I made the brownies and cupcakes yesterday. The chicken marbella has been marinating since yesterday, and the rest of the things shouldn't take too long to prepare.

Chicken marbella is one of my all time favorite chicken recipes, it's delish! I had to change the recipe a bit to make it ok for passover. I haven't had it in a while, so I am really looking forward to it tonight.

Here are a few of the recipes I am making tonight:
You may of seen me post something similar before, these are tailored for Pesach.

Spinach Hearts of Palm Salad

1 package of Spinach
1 can hearts of palm, sliced
handful of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1 avocado diced
10 white mushrooms, thinly sliced

dressing:
1/4 C. ketchup
1/4 C. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. paprika
1/2 C. vegetable oil (safflower)
1/4 C. apple cider vinegar
1/4 t. pepper
1 clove garlic, minced

Whisk the dressing ingredients together until combined. In a large bowl place the spinach, hearts of palm, cherry tomatoes, avocado, and mushrooms. Drizzle the dressing on, and toss the salad.


Cucumber Salad

2 cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 C. white sugar
1/2 C. water
1/2 C. apple cider vinegar
pinch of salt and pepper

In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, water, vinegar, salt, and vinegar, until the sugar dissolves. Add the cucumbers and onions, mix together. Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.


Avocado Dip

This is good with carrot and celery sticks, and matzah crackers or matzah. I learned to make it this way from my friend Michal. After we had it at her house one time, King Hock wouldn't stop raving about it to me and Michal. I swear every time we eat over there now she makes this just for him.

My secret with avocadoes is to let them ripen on the counter. Once they are a little bit soft, I place them in the refrigerator for up to a week. There is something about them being refrigerated when ripe, that makes them extra creamy.

2 avocadoes
1/2 lemon, juiced
salt and pepper to taste

Peel the avocadoes, and remove the seeds. Place the flesh into a small bowl. Mash with a fork until creamy. Add the lemon juice and salt and pepper. Mix together, and taste to see if it needs more salt, or lemon juice. I prefer it really lemony.


Chicken Marbella

This recipe is out of the Kosher Palette, although I have seen it in numerous cookbooks. You should see the page it is on in my Kosher Palette, it is all stained, you can tell I have made it a bunch of times.

1 C. pitted prunes
1/2 C. pitted green olives
1/2 C. capers with 3 t. liquid (I had to omit this for Passover)
1/4 C. fresh oregano, chopped
1/2 C. red wine vinegar (I had to use apple cider vinegar)
1/2 C. olive oil
1 head garlic, minced
kosher salt
pepper
1 chicken, cut into 8 pieces
1 C. firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 C. white wine
1/2 C. fresh chopped Italian parsley

Combine the prunes, olives, caper, liquid, oregano, vinegar, olive oil, and garlic, in a large shallow ovenproof dish. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Add the chicken, tossing to coat. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Uncover the chicken and sprinkle with brown sugar. Pour wine over the chicken and bake 1 hour covered.

Uncover and bake 30 minutes more or until golden brown. Can broil the skin if it is not browned.


Meatloaf for Passover

1.5 lbs. Ground Beef
2 eggs
1/4 C. green onions, chopped
1/4 C. red or white onion chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 C. matzo meal
1/4 C. ketchup
1/2 t. dried basil
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper

glaze:
1/4 C. ketchup
2 T. packed brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix together the above ingredients in a bowl. In a small bowl mix together the glaze ingredients. Place in a greased loaf pan. Spread the top with the glaze.

Bake covered for 45 minutes. Remove the cover and bake an additional 15 minutes.

Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are halfway through Pesach, and I'm getting impatient. When I went to the grocery store yesterday, the bakery section was torturous with it's sights and smells.

I am ready to start blogging and cooking normal food again. Only 4 more days!

Have a Great Shabbat! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment