Friday, April 15, 2011

4-15-2011 Shabbat for Sue

Whoa! I cannot believe it is Friday already. This week flew by. Must be because of all my Passover anticipation. The next few days, I am going to savor eating bread as if I am never going to eat it again. Tonight, I may eat an entire loaf of challah myself.

We are going to celebrate my good friend Sue's birthday tonight with a sumptuous Shabbat dinner. 
I finished the chocolate chip cake I told you about yesterday, you can see a picture of it below.

I changed up my usual Shabbat dinner framework. I usually serve fish in the first course with the salads, but tonight I am serving meat with the salads, and making fish as the main course.

Also, I got off kind of easy because Sue and my other friend who is coming, are both bringing a few dishes.

Tonight's Menu:

1. Challah- Used the Bread Machine because it makes 2 loaves, and I definitely do not want leftovers
2. Beef Kofta Kebab- recipe below
3.  Peanut Chicken Wings- recipe below
4. Zaatar Bean Salad- recipe below
5. Caesar Salad- Sue wanted to make this
6. Dijon Breaded Salmon- recipe below
7. Roasted Asparagus- another friend is bringing this
8. Quinoa- Sue is bringing this
9. Chocolate Chip Cake
10. Fresh Fruit

Here is a picture of the cake and my dining room table already set (you may spot my dog Charlie peeping out the window):





Beef Kofta Kebab

 1 pound Ground Beef
1/4 onion, finely chopped
2 T. fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 t. salt and pepper
1/2 t. meatball spice (I found this at an Israeli grocery store)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the above ingredients. Form into balls. Place 3 balls onto a skewer, and form the balls into a cigar shape along the skewer.

Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from skewer to serve.
If serving as a main course, serve with rice pilaf and a salad for a complete meal.

Peanut Chicken Wings

1 t. toasted sesame oil
1 C. water
1/2 C. sugar
1/3 C. soy sauce
1/8 C. peanut butter
1 T. honey
1 T. rice wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 package chicken wings

Place all of the above ingredients except the chicken into a large skillet.  Turn heat on medium, and stir until the sugar has dissolved and the peanut butter is smooth.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
 Place the wings in the skillet in the sauce. Cover the pan, and simmer on low 30 minutes. Remove lid, .and place the wings and the sauce into a baking dish. Place in the oven for 30 minutes, or longer until they are carmelized.



Zaatar Bean Salad

3 cans of different beans of your choice, I used kidney, cannelini, and black beans
1/4 C. green onion, chopped
2 T. fresh parsley, finely chopped
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 C. olive oil
2 T. red wine vinegar
1/2 t. salt and pepper
1 T. zaatar spice, (Can be found at an Israeli Grocery Store, or in some Kosher sections)

Drain the beans and rinse them in a colander. Place into a bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients, and mix together. Place in the refrigerator at least an hour, to let the flavors develop.

Dijon Breaded Salmon

This is the easiest recipe ever! I can't remember where I got it from, I have been making it for many years, it's a favorite.

1 salmon fillet
dijon mustard
seasoned bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the salmon fillet in a baking dish. Spread the top generously with dijon mustard. Sprinkle on bread crumbs to cover. Bake for 30 minutes or until salmon is done.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There you have it. It is hard for me sometimes to let other help out, but tonight I made an exception. So, I am happy to report I will not be exhausted at my shabbat dinner tonight. From now on, maybe I should start taking everyone up on their offers to help.

Enjoy the pre Pesach Shabbat, eat lots of bread! Shabbat Shalom.







Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment