Monday, April 18, 2011

4-18-2011 Happy Passover

There is no escaping it now, Passover is here.

I've been in the kitchen all afternoon working hard on our seder food.

My refrigerator is busting at the seams, here's a peak inside:


The brisket is in the oven slow cooking to tender perfection. Hubby is a huge meat lover, and he is going to be ecstatic when I serve the brisket tonight.

The chicken broth for the matzah ball soup is simmering away. I think the secret to unbelievably flavorful chicken soup is cooking it for several hours. Right now my house seems as though it may permanently smell like chicken soup, but any smell is welcome after the horrible odor from the self clean cycle I did on my ovens yesterday.

The tomato baked gefilte fish is done, and chilling in the fridge.


The chocolate toffee matzah is also finished. I know you are not supposed to eat matzah until the seder, but I couldn't help myself with this treat. I "tasted" it for quality assurance. Yup, just as good as I remembered it.


I also made an angel food cake from a Manischewitz mix, not convinced it will be anything special.


When I was at the grocery store today for the 100th time this week, I discovered some kosher for passover yogurt I had never noticed. I bought it to eat for breakfast, and was inspired to make some passover granola (recipe below) to go with it. I'll serve it with fresh sliced strawberries too, yum!


I still have to make a salad, the potato kugel, and balsamic portobello mushrooms (recipe below).

Here is the granola recipe and picture:



Passover Almond Granola

4 matzahs, broken in small pieces
1/4 c. almonds
2 T. oil
1/4 c. honey
2 T. water
1/2 t. cinnamon
1 T. brown sugar
1/4 t. salt

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Place the almonds in a ziploc, and close the zipper. Using a meat mallet or a frying pan, crush the nuts.

In a large bowl, place the matzah pieces, crushed almonds. In a small bowl mix together the oil, honey, and water. Pour the liquid over the matzah almond mixture. Sprinkle with the cinnamon, sugar, and salt. Toss until all combined.

Place on a sheet pan covered with parchment paper that has been sprayed with cooking spray.

Bake for 30 minutes.

Remove from oven and let cool. Store in an airtight container.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Balsamic Portobello Mushrooms

I am making this for my brother Drew. He came up with the idea to make this because he loves balsamic vinegar, and mushrooms.

3 Portobello mushrooms, sliced into strips
1-2 T. olive oil
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
1 clove, garlic
3 T. balsamic vinegar
1/2 t. dried basil
1/4 t. salt, or to taste
1/4 t. pepper, or to taste

In a large skillet, pour in the olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan, and turn heat onto medium. Add the onion and sautee 2-4 minutes, until starting to soften, add the garlic, and cook another 1 minute.
Add the mushrooms, balsamic, basil, salt and pepper. Lower heat and cook for 7-12 minutes, until the mushrooms are completely cooked.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have a Happy Passover! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment