Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Chick-fil-A My Way

I have had an ongoing love affair with Chick-fil-A since I was a kid. My brother and I used to beg my mom to take us there. She is not a fan, she sometimes refers to it as Sh*t-fil-A. (pardon my French). My mom is going to kill me for saying that!

I decided to make my favorite Chic-fil-A items for dinner tonight: Chicken Nuggets, Carrot Raisin Salad, and Waffle Fries.

The result was fantastic. The chicken tasted very similar, and it was better in a way because the chicken itself was much better quality.  This dinner was not the healthiest, but it sure pleased the boys.

Here are the recipes:


Chick-fil-A Chicken

I know you are probably thinking it's weird that this recipe calls for pickle juice, but it's really what makes it like the real deal.

2-4 boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into  small nugget size cubes
1 C. soy milk, plain (If you don't keep kosher, feel free to use real milk)
1/4 C. pickle juice
1 egg beaten

1 1/4 C. flour
2 T. powdered sugar
2 t. salt
1 t. pepper
1/2 t. garlic powder
oil for frying

In a large Ziploc baggie, mix together the soy milk, pickle juice, and egg. Add the chicken, seal the bag and marinate in the refrigerator for 4-8 hours.

In a medium bowl mix together the flour, powdered sugar, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Pour 1 inch of oil into a large skillet, mine was about 1/2 C. Heat the oil over medium/ medium high heat.

Once the oil is hot, remove pieces of the chicken from the marinade and roll in the flour mixture.  Cook the chicken in the hot oil in batches. Cook on one side until crisp and golden brown, then flip and cook on the other side until it is also golden brown. Remove to paper towels. You can cut into the middle and check that the chicken is cooked through.

If the chicken is browning too quickly, you may need to lower the heat. If the heat is too low, the chicken will soak up the oil.

If you find that the chicken isn't cooking through, you can continue to cook it in an oven heated to 350 degrees until cooked through.

Serve with whatever sauce you prefer.


Chick-fil-A Carrot Raisin Salad

I have always loved this, it's a sweet treat.

1 lb. carrots, peeled and shredded
1 (8 oz.) small can crushed pineapple
1 C. raisins
1/2 C. mayo, I used light
1-3 T. sugar depending how sweet you like it
1 T. fresh lemon juice

Use a food processor to shred the carrots, you could also hand grate them. Place the shredded carrots in a bowl, and mix in the crushed pineapple, raisins, mayo, sugar, and lemon juice. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.

_________________________________________________________________________

For the waffle fries, I baked frozen waffle fries, the whole meal was easy.


In the words of the cows:

Breakfast

Have a good night!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment