Wednesday, May 9, 2012

How Lee Hock Got Her Groove Back

Oh hi!

Remember me?

I'm still here, I've just been taking a break from the extravagant cookery. I know it's been a while since my last post, but I have a good reason for that...

At the end of February, we welcomed Prince Hock #3 into our lives. Between a newborn and 2 rambucous kiddos, you can imagine how busy I've been.

The first blissful weeks home with the new baby passed in a sleepless blur. Thankfully, many of our friends brought us dinners, and I didn't even have to think about cooking.

Once Passover came, I had no choice but ante up. I returned to my abandoned oasis (a.k.a. the kitchen) with unadulterated love. Suprisingly, I made some new blog worthy recipes, I was just too exhausted to follow through with blogging them.

Slowly but surely, I have been cooking more. And with each passing day the recipes are getting more complicated. Everyday for the past 2 weeks I have been baking like a mad woman, take that as a good sign. Just today I baked banana bread, sugar cookies, and peanut butter chocolate chip dough balls.

Now I sit here holding the newest love of my life (he is smiling at me this instant (the best!)). As he is starting to only wake up once or twice a night, my brain is returning to normal. Which means my mind is racing with recipe ideas and possibilities.

I can't make any promises to blog incessantly, but I will try to periodically give you some new recipes. And for now, I'll leave you with an insanely good recipe that I've already made twice this week.


Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Dough Balls

This recipe is adapted from the vegan blog http://www.peasandthankyou.com/

1 stick margarine, I used Best Life brand
3/4 C. Smooth Peanut Butter, I suggest Skippy Natural
1/2 C. firmly packed light brown sugar
3/4 C. powdered sugar
1 1/2 C. all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 C. chocolate chips

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degreees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. With an electric mixer, cream together the margarine, peanut butter, the brown and powdered sugar, until thoroughly combined and creamy.

2. Add the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix until all combined and comes together. Then mix in the chocolate chips. Once combined, chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before baking.

3.  If you like to eat cookie dough feel free to stop here, otherwise, bake them with the following intstructions for a dough ball cookie:

Using a cookie scoop, be sure and compact the dough tight into the scooper, and place scoops on baking sheet. If you don't have a cookie scoop, use your hands to make small balls of dough and place on the cookie sheet.
*NOTE- if your dough seems dry and too crumbly (it won't come together after packing it in the cookie scoop) you may want to add a 1-2 Tablespoons of water to the dough and mix until it comes together when combined. If you accidentally add too much water the dough balls will be more like cookies, but still taste good.

4. Bake for exactly 10 minutes. The cookies will look soft and similar to how they looked going in, but don't overbake them. Let them rest on for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.

***UPDATE: The third time I made these, I baked them at 325 degrees, and I scooped the dough into balls and froze the unbaked balls for 24 hrs. before I baked them. The results were even better, if you can imagine.

____________________________________________________________________________
And now introducing Prince Hock #3:
Talk to you hopefully sooner than later!


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment