Monday, May 14, 2012

Pretzel Crusted Chicken Fingers

I've got to make this blog post quick because the Bachelorette starts tonight, and I can't wait to watch it. I'm not a huge TV watcher, this will actually be the first show I have watched in months (not counting the Shark Tank show King Hock subjects me to on a nightly basis). I'm a huge dork because I would rather read a book than watch the tube.

I've definitely had my fair share of TV obsessions in the past, Lost, Big Love, and Weeds to name a few. Oh and I can't forget American Idol, The Tudors, America's Next Top Model, and Top Chef.

At this point in my life, at the end of a long day, all I want to do is read and go to bed.

Today was one of those long days, I'm pretty surprised I managed to cook our awesome dinner. I made Pretzel Crusted Chicken Fingers with Honey Mustard Sauce, Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries, and Spinach Cucumber Salad.

The Pretzel Crusted Chicken kept coming on my radar from Rachel Ray to Pinterest, I had to try to it. The end was result didn't have much pretzely flavor, but it was still great, I mean how could it not be,  it was fried.

Here are the recipes:


Pretzel Crusted Chicken Fingers

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1/2 bag (15 oz.) pretzels
pinch of salt and pepper
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. dried thyme
2 eggs
vegetable oil for frying

Pulse the pretzels in a blender until they are like bread crumbs. You can make them coarse or fine, however you want. Place the crumbs in a bowl. Mix in the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and thyme.

Crack the eggs in a bowl and whisk. Dip the chicken in the eggs, and then in the bread crumb mixture. Set aside on a plate.

Pour the oil into a large nonstick fry pan about 1/2 inch high. Heat over medium heat, for 5 minutes. Add the chicken strips and cook 4-5 minutes per side until browned and crisp. You will have to do a few batches. Make sure the chicken is cooked through by cutting into one and checking that there is no pink.

Serve with honey mustard sauce.


Honey Mustard Sauce

I didn't precisely measure, I just guestimated.

1/4 C. mayo
1 t. fresh lemon juice
1 T. yellow mustard
1 1/2 t. dijon mustard
1 T. honey

Mix all of the above ingredients together until completely combined.


Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries

Ah ha! I've finally figured out the secret to making crispy baked sweet potato fries. I used Japanese sweet potatoes which are similar in flavor to a regular sweet potato, but they aren't orange.

2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into sticks
1 egg white
salt and pepper
paprika

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Soak the potato sticks in a bowl of water for 30 minutes.
Pour out the water, and pat the potatoes dry.
Whip the egg white until foamy. Mix the potatoes with the egg white. Lay the potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and paprika.
Place in the oven and bake for 30-45 minutes, until crisp, turning the potatoes over half way through. Then lower the oven to 200 degrees for 10-15 minutes.


Spinach Cucumber Salad

I'm always up for a good fresh salad. I found myself shoving my face with this one.

1 (5 oz.) package baby spinach
1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
3 green onions, thinly sliced

dressing:

2 T. white vinegar
1/4 C. olive oil
1/4 C. sugar
pinch salt
pinch paprika
swig of worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 t. dried minced onion
1 T. toasted sesame seeds
1 1/2 t. poppy seeds

Using an immersion blender, blend together the vinegar, oil, sugar, salt, paprika, worcestershire sauce, and dried minced onion, until emulsified. Stir in the sesame and poppy seeds. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Place the spinach, cucumbers, and green onions in a salad bowl. Pour over part of the dressing and toss to combine. Serve immediately.

_________________________________________________________________________

Have a good night!



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment