Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Guac This Way

Having a new baby means that I am breastfeeding around the clock (sorry male readers). Supposedly, you are supposed to eat an extra 500 calories a day while nursing. I'm pretty sure that I eat more than the suggested amount. I am starving ALL.THE.TIME.

Almost every night, I wake up around 3 and can't fall back to sleep because I'm so hungry. I then have to drag my tush out of bed and mosey to the pantry to get a protein bar or something. This is after I eat more than King Hock does at dinner.

My cravings now are far worse than when I was pregnant. I want weird combos of things like smoothies with pretzels in them, or guacamole with mango in it (both of which are awesome together).

For dinner tonight I satisfied the guac craving. We had Grilled Chicken Tacos with Mango Guacamole, Mexican Rice, and Mexican Roasted Squash and Zucchini.


Mango Guacamole

Here is my avocado secret: I buy them and let them ripen on the counter, once they are ripe, I store them in the refrigerator for up to a week. The ripe avocadoes that come out of the refrigerator are always nice and creamy.

This guacamole is good with chips or inside tacos and fajitas, I served it with marinated grilled chicken tacos.

juice of 1 lime
1 T. onion, minced
1 T. serrano pepper, seeded and minced
1 XL ripe avocado, or 2 small avocadoes
1 small mango, peeled and diced
1 T. fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. salt
pinch of black pepper

Squeeze the lime into a medium bowl. Add the onion and serrano pepper. Next add the avocado, and use a fork to mash. Now add the mango, cilantro, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix until creamy. Optionally, garnish the top with more mango pieces and sprinkle with cilantro.


Mexican Rice

Why buy boxed rice when you can so easily make a fresher more delicious version?

1 T. olive oil
1/2 small onion, finely diced
1 C. rice
1/2 C. picante sauce or salsa
1/2 C. frozen peas
2 C. water
1/2 t. salt

In a medium sauce pan heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the onion. Saute until translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in the rice, and picante sauce. Next add the peas, water, and salt. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer. Cover with a lid and cook for 20 minutes, take off the lid and stir with a fork, then replace the lid. Remove from the heat and let stand 10 minutes covered. Take off the lid and fluff with a fork, and serve immediately.


Mexican Roasted Squash and Zucchini

This is quick and easy and goes great with any Mexican dish.

2 yellow squash, cut in half lengthwise and then cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 zucchinis, cut in half lengthwise and then cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 red onion, chopped
1 T. olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/4 t. cumin
1/4 t. chili powder

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, toss together the squash, zucchini, red onion, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, and chili powder. Once the veggies are coated, place them in a single layer on the baking sheet.

Cook for 20 minutes. Taste a piece and add more salt and pepper if desired.

____________________________________________________________________

I gotta go, I'm already getting hungry.




Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment