Friday, May 11, 2012

Pajama Shabbat



Whenever we don't invite any friends over on Friday nights, I refer to it as pajama shabbat.
Every afternoon after I've ran around dressed all morning, I get comfy, I take off my jewelry and put my pajamas on. I can't imagine what King Hock thinks when he gets home from work everyday, and I greet him in my holey t-shirt and ratty sweat pants. Although, I will say that when I look my worst (no makeup, and natural curly hair) he tells me I look hot. Hmmmmm...

 So I'm sitting here in my lovely pajamas for Shabbat tonight. I'm about to bathe the boys, and then they will be in their pjs. I'm pretty sure King Hock will get home, see our attire, and join us by putting his pajamas on as well.

I decided to keep my menu short this week since it's only us, and I didn't want to be in the kitchen all day. Also, I had much more important things to do like shop at my new favorite jewelry store Kendra Scott. Check out the website her stuff is awesome: http://www.kendrascott.com/

Back to my menu, I went with a Greek theme:

1. Everything Challah- my newest creation
2. Moussaka
3. Grecian Potatoes
4. Greek Salad
5. Chocolate Bundt Cake and Fruit

Here are a few recipes for you:



Everything Challah

The idea to make everything challah came a few weeks ago. I was sick in bed on a Friday, and the Rebbetzin kindly dropped off some of her very famous challah, which she had topped with dried minced onion. King Hock went nuts, he said it reminded him of an everything bagel, and I should make everything challah. This is great slathered in cream cheese.

1 recipe Challah- any recipe works fine
egg wash, I prefer to use yolks only
dried minced onion
dried minced garlic
poppy seeds
sesame seeds
caraway seeds (yuck!)- if you like...

After your challah has been braided, cover and let it rise until doubled in size. Remove the cover, and brush with the egg wash. Then sprinkle on the minced onion, minced garlic, poppy seeds, and sesame seeds. Bake according to your recipe.


Moussaka

This is the Greek version of Lasagna, it has less carbs since the meat sauce is layered with eggplant, not noodles. Lots of steps, but well worth the effort. So delish!

1 large eggplant, peeled, and cut into 1/2 inch slices
salt

2 T. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1- 1.5 lbs. ground beef
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. garlic powder
1 t. dried oregano
2 T. tomato paste
1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
1/4 C. red wine

3 T. margarine
2 T. all purpose flour
2 C. soy milk, plain unsweetened
3 eggs, whisked
1/2 t. salt

2 Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
1/4 C. panko, Japanese breadcrumbs, can use regular bread crumbs if you want to

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 7x11 pyrex with non stick spray.

2. Place the slices of eggplant on a paper towel, sprinkle with salt, and then top with another paper towel. Place something heavy on top of it like a pan. Let stand for 20 minutes. This will draw out the bitterness.

3. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add the onion. Saute until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the ground beef, and cook until browned. Then add the salt, pepper, cinnamon, garlic powder, oregano, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and red wine. Stir all together, and then simmer for 15 minutes. Taste to check if it needs more salt or pepper.

4. Lay half of the eggplant slices in the bottom of the prepared pyrex. Pour the meat over. Then top with the remaining eggplant slices.

5. In a medium sauce pan, melt the margarine. Stir in the flour and whisk for 1 minute. Then add the soy milk, whisk until smooth, and then whisk for 2 more minutes while simmering. Take 2 T. of the hot liquid and mix into the eggs to temper them, so they don't scramble. Now, add the egg mixture to the pot, and whisk constantly and bring to a low boil. As soon as you see small bubbles, remove from the stove.

6. Pour the creamy sauce over the eggplant. Arrange the tomato slices on the top, and sprinkle on the bread crumbs.

7. Cover loosely with foil, and bake for 1 hour. Then remove the foil and bake 15 more minutes until golden brown and bubbly.


Greek Roasted Potatoes serves 6-8, can be halved

8 baking potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges (7 wedges per potato)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 C. olive oil
1 C. water
1 T. dried oregano
1 lemon, juiced
salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

Spray a 9x13 baking dish or pan with nonstick spray.

Place the potatoes in the pan, and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Then pour on the rest of the ingredients. Toss all together until completely combined.

Place in the oven for 40 minutes, after 40 minutes or after a golden brown crust has formed. , turn the potatoes over, to brown the other side, add 1/2 c. more water if necessary. Sprinkle with a bit more oregano, salt, and pepper.

Bake another approx. 40 minutes, until the other side is golden brown.

_____________________________________________________________________



Have a sweet weekend!








Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment