Friday, May 18, 2012

Grilled Artichokes

I had planned on blogging this recipe last night, that was until we went out to dinner and I got drunk on 2 glasses of wine. I know I'm a lightweight. We went to a cute French place up the street, it's one of my favorite restaurants. (Think cheese plates, hot french bread with olive tapenade, pomme frites, apple tarte tatin, and souffles).

 Another favorite restaurant of mine is Houston's. I swear everything on the menu there is good. I think it's because they put magic powder on their food. I absolutely cannot go there without ordering their Grilled Artichokes. They don't always have them on their menu because artichokes are seasonal.

About 10 years ago I tried to recreate the recipe with no success. After that, I gave up trying because I figured they were doing something magical like they do with all of their food.

When I saw a grilled artichoke recipe here:
http://www.sandandsisal.com/2012/04/grilled-artichokes.html
I decided to give it another shot, and I was not sorry, these were incredible!


Grilled Artichokes

2-4 artichokes
2 lemons, quartered
4 cloves garlic
2 T. salt

3 T. olive oil
1 T. steak sauce (I didn't have, so I just used worcestershire sauce)
2 t. Montreal Steak Seasoning
2 t. balsamic vinegar

Fill a large pot of water with 2 inches of water, 2 T. salt, and 4 cloves of garlic, and one lemon cut into quarters. Cut the bottom off of the artichokes so that they can stand up. Then use kitchen shears and cut the sharp part off of the tips of the leaves. Next with a very sharp knife, cut the artichokes into quarters, immediately rub with a piece of lemon to prevent discoloration. Place the artichoke quarters into the pot of water. Place on the stove and cover with a lid. Bring to a boil, and then boil for 8 minutes, or until the heart can be pierced easily with a fork. Drain into a colander.

Mix together the olive oil, steak sauce, Montreal seasoning, and balsamic vinegar.

Place the artichoke quarters into a bowl, and pour over the olive oil mixture.

Heat the grill to medium heat, and place the quarters onto the hot grill. Turn over every 5 minutes or until all sides are nicely charred, or to your liking.

Serve with Dipping Sauce:


Houston's Artichoke Dipping Sauce

This is my version of the sauce they serve at Houston's with their artichokes.

1 C. mayonaise
1 1/2 T. sweet relish
3 green onions, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 t. capers
1/2 t. dijon mustard
1 1/2 t. lemon juice
1/2 t. worcestershire sauce
pinch of salt and pepper

Mix together the above ingredients, store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

________________________________________________________________________

Talk to you later.




Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment