Friday, May 18, 2012

Crispy Smashed Potatoes, Insane Bars, and more

I almost titled this post Breaded Gefilte Fish, but I was pretty sure no one would read it.

When I say gefilte fish, what do you think of?

Do you picture a glass jar filled with juice, jelly, and balls of stinky unappetizing fish? Yup, I used to envision gefilte fish just like that, that is until I was introduced to a delicious completely different version.

I remember my first Shabbat dinner at the Rabbi's house 8 years ago. Shabbat dinners were completely foreign to me. It was already late by the time we sat down to eat, I was super hungry. The Rabbi has 8 children, and they were sitting so nicely despite the fact it was past their bedtimes. Before we started eating, we went through a series of songs and prayers, I was thinking are we ever going to eat?

The first thing we ate was the Challah, it was the best challah I had ever had. Next came the salad and fish course, there were several different salads and gefilte fish, everything was served family style. As King Hock passed me the gefilte fish, I made a face and said no thank you.

He told me I had to try it, that is was delicious. He was right, I loved it. I ate two servings.

The next course was soup, I was already full, but I didn't pass it up. After that came two kinds of chicken, kugels, vegetables, and rice. I had never seen so much food. As we ate, we had intelligent coversations about anything and everything.

Finally, there was dessert and fruit. I could barely walk out the door I was so stuffed.

When we left, my mind, body, and spirit felt completely nourished.

That night is forever stuck mind, it made me realize so many things. First, I wanted to start having Shabbat dinners. Second, that I had so much to learn about my religion in which I knew so little. Third, that I want to have lots of children.

Making Shabbat dinner every week is hard work, but worth the effort. Tonight we are having a special Shabbat dinner because my Mother-in-Law is in town.

Here is what we are having:

1. Challah
2. Breaded Gefilte Fish, recipe below
3. Strawberry Mango Green Salad
4. Cabbage Salad
5. Chicken Marbella
6. Crispy Smashed Potatoes, recipe below
7.  Lemon Garlic Roasted Broccoli, recipe below
8.  Sugar Cookie Bars, obsessed made these 3 times in one week
9.  Insane Bars, recipe below
10. Fruit Salad


Breaded Gefilte Fish

This recipe is from a friend, who got it from another friend. I told my kids it was like fish sticks, and I let them dip it in ketchup.

1 loaf frozen gefilte fish, I use Ungars, can be found in the Kosher freezer section at the Kosher Grocery Store
1/4 C. mayo
1 C. bread crumbs, I used panko

Preheat the oven to 350 degree. Spray a baking sheet with non stick spray. Place the breadcrumbs on a plate.

Run the frozen loaf under water to remove the paper wrapper. Brush the gefilte fish with the mayo. Then roll in the bread crumbs. Use your hands to press the bread crumbs in so the loaf is completely covered in crumbs.

Bake for 2 hours. Remove from the oven. Let cool on the counter for 30 minutes. Place in the refrigerator for several hours, so that it is completely chilled to serve. Slice into 12 slices and serve with horseradish, I prefer the kind with beets (particularly Mealmart brand if you can find it).


Crispy Smashed Potatoes

I'm going to warn you, you will not be able to stop eating these. Adapted from the Pioneer Woman

New potatoes, choose small sized ones if you can
3 T. olive oil
kosher or coarse salt
pepper
3 green onions, thinly sliced

Preheat the oven to 450. Brush a sheet pan with some olive oil

Place the potatoes in a pot and cover with water. Put the pot on the stove and bring to a boil, cook until they can be pierced with a fork.

Place the cooked potatoes on the prepared sheet pan about 1 inch apart. Use a potato masher and gently press down until it is slightly mashed, then turn the masher the other direction and do it again. Brush the tops generously with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 20-25 minutes until crusty and golden brown. Sprinkle with the sliced green onions and serve.


Lemon Garlic Roasted Broccoli

Sorry Merrill (my brother in law who is coming tonight) I know you don't eat garlic.This recipe is from allrecipes.com, The. Best. Broccoli. Ever!

2 heads broccoli, cut into florets
2 t. olive oil
1 t. salt, sea salt is best
1/2 t. pepper
1 clove garlic
1/2  lemon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl mix together the broccoli florets, olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic. Lay in a single layer on the baking sheet.

Bake for 20 minutes, until the stem can be pierced easily with a fork. Remove from the oven and squeeze the lemon juice over it, and serve.


Insane Bars

I named these Insane Bars because they are just that. I didn't make this recipe up, it is all over the internet and Pinterest.

1 box Duncan Hines Chewy Fudge brownies
2 eggs
1/4 C. water
1/2 C. oil
Oreos- 1 package
1 C. margarine or butter, at room temperature
1 C. sugar
¾ C. light brown sugar
2 eggs
2 t. vanilla extract
2½ C. all-purpose flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
2 cups (12 oz.)  chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 baking pan with non stick spray. Then line with parchment paper, then spray the parchment paper with non stick spray.

Prepare the brownie batter, with the brownie mix, the 2 eggs, 1/4 C. water, and 1/2 C. oil. Set Aside.

Prepare the cookie dough: Cream together the margarine, sugar, and brown sugar until fluffy with a mixer. Add the eggs and vanilla, mix until combined. Then add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix until dough is formed. Last, mix in the chocolate chips.

Press the cookie dough evenly  into the bottom of the prepared pan. Then line up oreos completely covering the cookie dough. Now pour on the brownie batter.

Bake for 45-55 minutes. Let cook at room temperature, then cut into bars.



_______________________________________________________________________

Have a nice weekend!















Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment